Open discussion for stone fruit

This is really, really, interesting Scott. I like only having to spay sulphur, and I can get away with it just fine in my dry climate, but I still have to spray more often than I would like to. Is lime-sulphur really that much better? Could I cut my spraying in half?

This is not a thorough study by modern standards, but I have to believe it would be better than sulphur. So yes it sounds worth a try to me. Assuming you can get lime-sulphur, I think Peaceful Valley is the only source now.

This booklet is interesting reading on the problems they had back then, many peaches shipping from the south showed up rotted in New York. Apparently in 1908 nearly the whole Georgia crop was wiped out by brown rot. One other thing it points out is how bug-damaged fruits are much more likely to rot. This is an important reason why they all need to be culled ASAP.

2 Likes

Some interesting reading from WSU:
http://gardening.wsu.edu/lime-sulfur-spray-availability-for-home-gardeners/

HI Alan,
Thanks for posting your thoughts about gmo crops. This is pretty much how I feel about it.
It is possible to discuss issues rationally with reasonable people.

Has anyone tried to make lime sulphur themselves. Saw a few videos, doesn’t look that hard. Makes sense if you have more then a few trees and spray often. I am considering this.

1 Like