Reviewing Nurseries

Yep, it didn’t make it through the second winter. That was either '14 or '15. Those were wicked winters for length and snowfall (locally anyway), but temps only got to around -25 as I recall. I’d like to have one here, but think it’d need to be planted near the house for a microclimate, and I don’t want any mulberries near the house.

1 Like

I really like St. Lawrence nursery for thier cold climate selections, and the hardiness of thier stock. Also really like Fedco and Jungs. I generally make a small order from all three for varieties I can’t easily find scion wood from. Mostly order perennial flowers like roses, clematis, and that sort of rot from Jungs. Worst nursery I have ever dealt with was The Arbor Day Foundation. I have tried twice with them. They have sent me dead bushes in spring. When I called to let them know, they made up for it by sending plant material that was obviously just breaking spring dormancy with tender growth, but in November! It would appear thay are under the impression that Northern Michigan is a territory of Australia.

3 Likes

I have delivered plants from the Arbor Day foundation. The plants I delivered were small enough they could be delivered to a P.O. Box and their packaging was just a bag if I remember right

1 Like

Maybe im paranoid… maybe gunshy…but…

A couple of mentions on this forum…

However…

They are located 20 miles from TyTy Nursery…

After a bit of detective work… you look for patterns.

Big Black Mulberry… if you read the desription they use the word Superberry Black Mulberry.

This word is only used from TyTy and a TyTy spinoff called Prepper Gardens (which i hate).

So if you are gonna get ripped off…you may as well save money doing it.
Shrubs and Trees depot is the cheapest of the TyTy empire.

Use Coupon Code PLANTLIFE to get ripped off 15 percent less.

6 Likes

You reckon some of the spin-offs are former employees going into the nursery business?
Just askin’.

1 Like

I know for certain that is the case with at least one of the “spin offs” based on some conversations shared on Facebook.

I would hope that the ethics of the parent company are not transferred to the new ones, but as the saying goes, old habits die hard… This is one I’d be happy to be wrong about.

1 Like

Im not sure if a former employee would only go 20 mins down the road to a derelict address and start a big nursery that that site would need.

Regardless… TyTy is invincible…but i think their having to open new sites and creating new customer bases is evidence that alot of damage has been done to their reputation. There is literally a couple of decades of bad reviews still on the web. Alot of angry folks.

Willis Orchard is for sure an ex TyTy employee as noted in another thread Jason Willis was sued by TyTy for stealing their client list i think.

Im not sure if any new nursery website in GA in the coming years wont be TyTy.

Just passing along info as i find it… perhaps im wrong.

1 Like

I would never buy from any online nursery within 150 miles of TyTy. It is too likely to be a TyTy clone of some sort.

3 Likes

Little rant about the ‘policies’ of small nurseries and their shipping.

I have some plants coming from a small nursery and their policy is that they do NOT ship to PO Boxes. However they only use USPS. I explained that i have a mailbox at the end of my road and that the box will not fit in the mailbox…and i will eventually have to go to the post office to pick up my order…where my PO Box is located. Their policy still held true… and they said that they could cancel my order but they will not ship to PO Boxes.

I also have a box of plants coming by UPS from another nursery. I tried to explain that UPS packages will arrive at my PO Box. The small nursery said that it wasnt possible and the reason for UPS was to deliver to home or physical addresses.

Communication is important! Sometimes folks have a hard time being good at it. I know I have room to grow, but I try.

1 Like

If you were to work at USPS you would understand why some do not ship to PO Boxes. I have people who will pick up once a month with PO Boxes. The trees will be long dead before some of these people come. Also if they make the mistake of not putting the PO Box on there it is supposed to be returned which also kills the tree more than likely. Just saying nursery have their reasons for that policy.

3 Likes

The main reason that i have a PO box is that my USPS approved mailbox will not fit boxes or packages. Not even a standard Priority mail box…

I cannot ask my mailman to tie my package to my mailbox with a string i dont think. But i have never asked them.

So i just wait for the slip… then wait a full day and then go to the post office and get my package…where my PO Box is.

I was a mailman for a while. Some people put a truckbox next to their mailbox and request that packages be put in it.

2 Likes

My office I work at does the same thing where it either fits in the mailbox or leaves it at the Post Office. It is a general problem with rural areas. I live in more of the city so they will deliver even big boxes to me. It would be interesting to see how things change in the next few months on how that works but I will not be there to find out. As part of the 10 year plan Dejoy made to make the Post Office profitable he is combining many Post Offices in one single location. My Post Office’s carriers as well as 3 others are being moved to a central location as part of that plan. Many full time regular clerks like myself are being excessed and less office staff will be there to help. It will be interesting to see if rural carriers have to make multiple trips because of that or if residents will have to do a 50+ mile round trip to the centralized Post Office for a package. Things may be getting a lot worse for a lot of rural folk and they don’t even realize it. At least you have a mail box though. My first office I worked at only hired PSE so there was constant turnover and they only had PO Boxes in that office. No carriers what so ever. We were only open 9 AM-1:00 PM. I made a effort when working there to help customers after hours but if you had someone who was not as nice as me or someone did not like you as a customer they could completely ignore you and have you come in between 9-1 to get served or pick up a package.

1 Like

I gave shrubs and trees depot a spin. I ordered Brazos blackberry which i dont have. They sent me the worlds only thornless thorned blackberry. TyTy wins again.

1 Like

I now recognize that nursery. You may want to isolate those blackberry or at least make sure not to bring them inside. I remember I bought a banana tree from them around a year ago. I paid out the bucket for it but everywhere else was sold out. A few days I had moths everywhere in my room which happened to be where I put the banana plant. I ended up spending a month or more killing moths in the morning and night time.

To diverge from the topic briefly, that’s how my P.O. works. The fact that they’re required to return mail without the box number on it has complicated deliveries here considerably, especially given that a) they’re no longer allowed to infer the box number from ZIP+4, b) both UPS and FedEx often (and unpredictably) have USPS do the final delivery of their packages, and c) E-commerce websites increasingly use the USPS address database to verify shipping addresses, but in communities like mine, physical street addresses are rejected. This causes checkout and shipping problems often enough that I’ve had to write a little shipping tutorial for those merchants:

I live in a small community which doesn’t have door-to-door USPS mail delivery, so everyone has a P.O. Box for USPS. If we know that something is being sent by USPS, we provide the P.O. Box for shipping; if we know that it’s being shipped by courier (UPS, FedEx, etc.) we supply the street address. However, if we don’t know how the item is being shipped, or if the courier may choose to hand off to USPS for the final delivery (SurePost, etc.) at its option, we have a problem. Couriers won’t accept a P.O. Box, and USPS won’t accept a street address.

In this situation, our P.O. advises us to use our street address for shipping, with the addition of our bare P.O. Box number as a second address line. Couriers typically ignore this number, but if USPS ends up responsible for final delivery, they’ll interpret it properly. They claim that the ZIP+4 is no longer sufficient for this purpose, though it used to be.

Here are all three address versions for me:

USPS only:
P.O. Box nnnn
Point Reyes Station, CA 94956-nnnn

street address, courier only:
mm Manana Way

combined address, USPS or courier:
mm Manana Way
#nnnn

Please use whichever one is appropriate for your shipping method. Thanks.

Of course, only the P.O. box alone is recognized by the USPS Informed Delivery program, so I don’t get automated E-mail notifications of the arrival at the P.O. of anything sent to the combined address. I guess that’s a first-world problem, and I should just be satisfied that the package gets there.

1 Like

It depends on the office really on how they handle that stuff. In my first office where it was a 4 hour office only hiring PSE we had a town over only 100 something people. We would look up packages but not letters. Now that I am in a bigger office we look up neither. We just looked up packages via web bats for customer service since we were a small office.

2 Likes

I think @horna is onto something there. We have a bench at our office where larger packages are always placed. You could even grab a gardening box (not sure what the term is, for storing your tools out of site) and just put that beside your mailbox. It should be big enough to fit most plant orders too.

2 Likes

I have had such good success with Trees of Antiquity!! I know they aren’t cheap but their trees have ALL just worked out so beautifully for me.

3 Likes