Rodent bait causes other animals to suffer needlessly

I need it to work on fox squirrels. They’re hell on my plums and pears and even apples.

1 Like

I met someone years ago that was using Alka-Seltzer mixed with peanut butter to kill mice in a cabin.
Claimed that it worked well.
Since , I have seen claims on the internet,that Baking soda mixed with some thing edible, like oatmeal ?flour ? Peanut butter, etc… would kill mice.
The claim is that small rodents can’t burp ? / or fart.
Baking soda supposedly creates gas in their intestines.

The ingredients in Alka-Seltzer that creates the very active effervescence are “” baking soda and citric acid.””
The ratio in alkaline-seltzer is roughly 2parts baking soda / 1 part citric acid
( Both of which are dirt cheep. )

If the above is true ?
I visualize a experiment, , !
Something like a small pack of flat corn tortillas
With alternating layers of baking soda citric acid and peanut butter.
Such that the ingredients remain separate until chewed .
Could be cut into strips , chunks , rolled up ?
Like pieces of a layer cake .
Think ? …… vinegar / baking soda volcanos inside of mice / voles
May need earplugs ? Safety glasses? For heavy infestations :face_vomiting:

Anyhow , something I hope to try,
need some volunteer mice.
Should be pet safe , as long as can burp ,/ , fart ?
( , But you may want to kill them ? .)

@Olpea maybe a good experiment for your mouse farmer friend ?

1 Like

Then obviously Mentos and diet soda are the answer to my squirrel problem.

3 Likes

Sorry if this was already shared. This video shows a super effective and simple approach but also gives me the creeps

. Best Mouse Traps | The most effective simple homemade mouse trap | Traps with plastic buckets - YouTube

2 Likes

I used to have a Jack Russell mix who was heck on the rats. Then she discovered the joys of eating grubs. And now is a porky/ slow sausage roll of a dog. We wanted Chiweenies again. Superb ratters. But we do not think they would not get along with our LSG dogs. The LSG’s kill everything else bigger then a rat. We also shoot clear problem animals that seem sick. We see a fair amount of psuedo-rabies here in wild animals.

Turned down a beautiful Caucasian Shepard dog. He flat made our big race Pyrenees look puny. But those can be quite hard to rehome. Had to be around 200 pounds. Our big girls run about 150-160.

Much like Anatolians and Kangel’s, Caucasians can be scary animals. A bit too bullheaded and determined to protect too remain under control.

Creeps, no, funny, yes. Johnny dived right in, why not me.