Root Hybrid Persimmon Cuttings

I’m going to winter prune my Kasandra hybrid persimmon tree. So I just wonder if I can root the hardwood cuttings just like rooting grape or fig hardwood cuttings. Is it better to wait until spring time than fall?

Most of the persimmon trees here are grafted. But I prefer own-root trees that are relatively safe from winter damage.

This tree has no winter die-back.

Everything I’ve read about rooting persimmons is that it’s very low percentage, at best. I have read studies from Japan and the US where they’ve had success rooting cuttings taken from fresh root suckers or by etiolation. Basically, you need to trick the shoots into entering a juvenile state.

I detailed my research so far in this thread:

I plan to try this out once I have my trees more established.

1 Like

Well, I’ve not seen any root suckers from the tree. I think it should be a seedling. I’ve had it for 4 years.

Grafting is easy and rootstock is cheap. If you follow Dax’s hot callusing method, your success rate will be close to 100%. The right rootstock will be hardy to zone 4 or as low as persimmons go.

1 Like

Fersure.

1 Like

I’ll give it some thoughts. If I go that route, then it will be regular Asian persimmon, not the hybrid. TY.

Always and I sort of shout to the world right now, use Northern persimmon seedlings Diospyros virginiana - NORTHERN SOURCED if you’re gonna sell them or trade plants with friends that you may not of planned on doing. Southern American persimmon seedlings are fine for the southern folks as rootstocks or wildlife plantings, but they are not fine for the majority of the country.

Southern seed, grows a rootstock or wildlife tree that in zones 6 and colder dies back to the ground all the time and always kills a graft. If you’re ever in doubt of the seed source/provenance of your trees, ask.

Also, Northern seedlings do just the same as southern seedlings for the south.

Dax

9 Likes

Seems legit?

Scam. 3 different branches cut from mature tree. I don’t know how he made the fistful of strange roots.

The last bit is comical. We’re expected to believe that a dozen chlorotic leaves matured and ripened all of those fruit?

2 Likes

Not to mention, persimmon roots that size would not be fleshy & white.

1 Like

Yes. Strange.

The roots in the still image aren’t even in the video.

I think somebody already showed one of this guys debunking videos. He’s great. I don’t have his patience:

edit: My new practice is to look at their video list, before watching propagation videos, and see if there are other obvious scams before wasting my time.

1 Like