Rooting Fruit Trees

I think garlic mostly acts as an antifungal, not a hormone per se, but I’m willing to be convinced otherwise if I’m wrong.

What swincher said… if you read enough you will see that some things dont need rooting hormone at all… sometimes it hinders rooting… and some things root better with antimicrobial/antifungal or whatever.

Rubus for example has such a high desire to propagate that you probably dont have to use any hormones…so i guess the garlic or whatever u choose to use that hinders molds helps things.

So im not sure at this point that there is 1 method that ‘works best’…there are alot of choices… like some people root softwood, some root semi hardwood and others root dormant cuttings.

You can also see all the crazy propagtion methods like sticking cuttings in bananas and potatoes… some just use plain old water.

Tens of thousands of softwood Blueberry cuttings were rooted in NC with mostly no rooting hormone at one point. Many of the newer varieties are now patented and I believe they have switched to Tissue Culture. Two well know Blueberry researchers published the attached document. One researcher from UGA and one from NCSU. A recent Rabbiteye Blueberry variety is named after “Krewer.”

1 Like