Rootstock for almonds in alkaline, clay soil?

I’m hoping to try growing almonds at my family’s new place, even though it may not be easy. It’s located in a hot, dry, flat valley in Zone 5, and the soil in the area is a somewhat heavy clay with a pH of 8.2-8.3. Though it’s not the most ideal climate for fruit/nut trees, peaches and apricots have been grown in our neighborhood successfully.

I have read about the “Javid’s Iranian” Almond that England’s Orchard and Nursery sells, and it sounds like a good option to try with it being cold hardy, later blooming, and good-quality. However, I’m wondering if it would be best to try grafting scoinwood onto a rootstock myself, instead of getting it on the Nemaguard that they sell it on? I’ve been reading up a bit on different rootstocks and I’m not quite sure what would be the best option. Though Lovell peach is fairly common for fruit trees in general in our region, I can’t help but wonder if it would be even more advantageous to try a different rootstock?

Viking sounds like a good rootstock for these conditions, but I can’t find any information on its cold-hardiness and, unfortunately, it’s next-to-impossible to find for sale as a backyard grower.

Are there any other options that would work well for this type of situation? Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated!

I have an oracle and nikitas pride almond that are both on Lovell in alkaline clay soil (ph7.8-8.0) They have only been in the ground for a little while so it is hard to give you a solid evaluation but they seem to be doing just fine. I also have plums, pluots and peaches on Lovell and they all do really well. If you want my two cents I would say if Lovell is a popular rootstock in your area then stick with what works. My Mom had a peach tree in this area on the wrong root stock and it always suffered form chlorosis and poor growth.

Any updates on how your almond trees are doing?

Unfortunately, not much to report yet. It’s a slow waiting game for me, due to budget and other constraints. A year and a half ago I obtained some Krymsk 86 rootstocks from a local acquaintance, but because the property wasn’t ready for them, I had to pot them up. Those will go in the ground this spring.

Though it’s a relatively new rootstock, it sounds like it will do well in my set of conditions and should have almond compatibility (how much so, exactly, remains to be seen; sounds like more research needs to be done).

Also, I have heard it mentioned that Prunus tenella is graft-compatible with almond, though further information about this is extremely scarce. I plan to experiment with this as a side project; I might take a similar approach to growing pear on cotoneaster:

Might look at Rootpac-R as a possibility. I think it doors well in alkaline soils though almond variety compatibility I’m not sure of.