Roundup for non gmo?

Yes, my application is a bit different then most. I’m somewhat backwards with fields lined with permaculture trees on the edges rather than and orchard like setting. A clover base is easy to maintain and keeps my larger ag equipment far enough from trees. I have no experience with clopyralid.

Many broadleaf weeds can be controlled by mowing. While I would not spray clethodim directly on trees (especially if mixed with crop oil), it is a grass selective herbicide and I’m much less worried wind drift. It is absorbed by the foliage and not really soil active similar to glyphosate. So far, I have had no ill effects from using it in proximity to fruit trees, but it only controls grasses.

1 Like

Me too! I only use a backpack sprayer to spray roundup or glufosinate around my trees or bushes. It takes about 2 hours to spray a band down each crop which is about an acre in size. 5 acres X 2 hoursX 2 times = 20 hours of hard work! I’m learning to use more pre herbicide that I can spray from the tractor to make things easier. Never used Stinger but the extension folks talk a lot about glufosinate and Alion. Alion works great on apples and peaches. Its expensive but it only takes about 3 oz/acre and keeps the weeds under control a good while.

I agree Blueberry. It takes a long time to hand spray. One thing we have started doing for the younger trees is mixing up a 25 gal. tank of glyphosate, parking it down where we are spraying, then pumping that into a pump up sprayer for refills. Sort of a nurse tank idea. Makes it a little faster, but still painfully slow.

I used Sinbar tank mixed w/ Karmex for a pre-emerge on established trees this year. It worked pretty good, but we’ve just had too much rain for any pre-emerge to work really well. I’ve heard Alion is very effective and may try it next year.

1 Like

I am probably not qualified to give advice on spraying around trees, I am having some issues that I think maybe related to roundup also. Two of my pomegranates look to have roundup damage even though it is mulched and I only spray the weeds starting to encroach the outside of the mulch. I am using Poast mostly now as Bermuda grass is my main problem. We use a lot of paraquat because it kills any roundup ready seeds that sprout after we harvest. I may try some of that.

I think Cityman got a heavy dose from gross carelessness. Some plants are more sensitive that others but that should never happen at least not to that extent. A couple of years ago I reading up on citrus fruit drop and was surprised to see 2,4-D listed. They must use a very low dose, it is not something I am willing to try on my trees, will just deal with some drop.

What is the reasoning behind no roundup after June?

I’m not 100% sure, but it may have something to do with the number of root suckers around the trees. Michigan State suggests July as the cut off date for Roundup:

1 Like

Here is what it say in the link

Glyphosate contact in the latter part of the season causes the tree to take up the herbicide and translocate it to the roots, storing it with the carbohydrates. In spring, the tree moves its reserves, including the herbicide back to the canopy, and symptoms become visible on the foliage.

1 Like