Rudolf’s garden fruits in Brescia,Italy

Thank you very much for the tip! I’m so curious to see what’s gonna be next! Also I have a question for any stone fruit expert. Do you think it’s possible to grow some apricots/peaches and plums at a 3.20 meters spacing between the trees ? The rootstocks should be all standards , but I wanna keep them let’s say 3 meters tall max for easier harvest. Thank you very much !

2 Likes

Hi Rudolf, I’m also in europe just across the alps in bavaria. 3,2 m should be ok on St. Julian rootstock that a lot of nurseries use and you can prune them to a spindle. I personally use more vigorous rootstocks for peaches and apricots because high vigour and lots of pruning are my best bets against diseases but your climate is a lot more stonefruit friendly. Wavit is another popular rootstock here in Germany that is semidwarfing. Full size rootstocks (like myrobalan) need a bigger spacing.

1 Like

I think mine might be mirabolan or similar so that worries me a bit , I’m sure they are kinda of vigorous rootstocks for sure , so I have no idea how this will turn out .

Cheers from Colorado and great job at starting your fruit obsession so early! Come here for any of your crazy ideas we will nurture them :grinning: and help them grow :tulip:

1 Like

Thank you very much !!
I hope to bring something useful as well!
All of my plants are super small right now but I’m expecting the first small crop from trees that I planted 2 years ago. Now I’m just trying to understand how to space those damn peach / apricot / Pluot trees! I’ve been thinking about that all night but I don’t know how to make them all fit in my “stone fruit patch”

2 Likes

Rudolf,
If you plums, peaches and apricots are on Myro rootstocks, they will grow well. At 3.2 meters/10-11 ft apart, they are quite close to one another but you can contain them with pruning. You can structure your trees the way Scott Smith has done in the thread below.

1 Like

Wow that’s actually pretty impressive!
I’m still new in the whole orchard thing and I have to say that I’m pretty damn envious! I might try a similar approach to pruning , also, today I’m going to go on the field and see if I can reach at least a 4 meters distance to make it at least a tiny bit easier. Thank you very much for all the response you are giving guys !

Hello guys! Today I’ve been planting a lot of different trees in my stone fruit garden, all at a distance of approximately 3.20 meters.
The first one is an honeysun tree, which should be a peach and apricot crossing that definitely looks more like a peach. This one is also my very first attempt of training.

The second one is a 1 year old Honeykist nectarine,
Then I have a sunrosso and a Big bomba apricot and last but not least my aprium cot n candy.

8 Likes

Looks great, with some pruning they should be far enough apart. When the buds start to swell I would cut off any weak or inward facing branches and head the rest back by at least half to an outward facing bud. You can hardly prune peaches too much in this state

1 Like

Yeah, i still have to do this year’s pruning so im still trying to figure out how to prune all of the new plants. I want roughly an open center on all the plants, especially the apricots, but with the shape they have right now, it doesnt seem easy at all to achieve.

Now I know that my containers came from Italy, same thing. Paid $8.00 for one.

2 Likes

So, my aprium had an incredible flowering! Problem is , it’s now loaded with small fruits!
Any tip on when and how many fruits should I remove? I believe some thinning is required!

5 Likes

You are about three weeks ahead of me your peaches look great!

1 Like

I usually keep them about 3 inches(8 cm)apart,so they don’t rub together,as they grow.

1 Like

Theese are aprium not peaches! I will show you my peaches in the next days, they are still at flower stage ! So we are not that far apart!

1 Like

Do you have a source for these containers?

I buy them at my local hydroponic store, Gro power has nice ones to, h d with a large lip for easy moving.Have a few of those.Great for figs, like the squat containers for figs. Fifteen gl,s.

1 Like

This year, among many things, I also tried to graft for the first time. In this case some red fleshed apples. A couple just woke up, problem is, one of the few that did, is showing some flowers about to open … what should I do??

3 Likes

Don’t let it set fruit - pinch off the blossoms right away. I’ve made the mistake of being impatient to have a graft bear fruit and then having the growth set back years! There are sure to be some leaf buds that will keep the scion alive, and then it will grow.

Congratulations on your success. It’s a nice feeling, isn’t it.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! I’m going to remove the flower as soon as they open !