Russian pears for zone 2 - some info I found

None of my Russian pears are still alive. A bad winter took out the young grafts.

1 Like

Very good to know! Thanks for the update.

@Bernie originally when you brought these pears into Canada from Russia it was a difficult time there in Russia but did they mention how cold hardy they are?

This spring was the first time I dipped my foot into the pear pool. I planted a Beedle and a Favoritka from Prairie Hardy Nursery. They are an hour or so north east of Edmonton in a zone 3b. Their offering of Russian pears increases every year. Pear Trees – Prairie Hardy Nursery

1 Like

I made a post today with an update on these Russian pears. Bottom line hardy to about -35C, but most have died in the last two winters I had, -42C and -40C.

1 Like

Fedco has some z3 hardy trees and scionwood you might try also. i have 3 grafted on m. ash. nova, patten and stacyville. theyre on year 3 . we havent had a test year in 5 yrs though so time will tell.

2 Likes

Thank you for the update @Bernie

1 Like

Yanvarskaya pear variety. A very good pear variety for an intensive garden. Yielding and no periodicity. Incompatible with quince, need an insert.

4 Likes

Behind on write ups.

So far NOT impressed. I have found they are hard to time, core rotting very fast even though outside looks not ripe. Flavour is subpar, most having some degree of astringency. Not many of my pears ripened yet but the Russians were vekovaya, Krazbonokoya and Krazulya (all spelling from memory on my phone). I had beedle and did not like but was first year fruiting. Cracked easy and not great flavour.

These were all say 2/5. Lucious was 5/5 for flavour and melting texture. Northbrite was 3-4/5 for flavour but gets points for being great when crisp and staying great and hanging on tree for 3-4 weeks with no rot (never fully softened and needs more experience) excellent as a backyard tree or u-pick. Harrow delight excellent but was first fruit and I think I liked Lucious better due to flavour.

This is all zone 4b canada, usda 3b.

Will try to post later when have more time.

5 Likes