Saijo persimmon crop this year

The squirrels found my persimmons, so I had to take them all down before they ate them. It’s a touch early, but they seem to be ripening at the perfect eating pace so far. How is everyone else’s persimmon crops doing!?.

25 Likes

We were vacuum sealing some of our dried persimmons yesterday. Dried persimmons link.

2 Likes

They look beautiful and BIG! What zone are you in?
Mine in zone 7b (PNW) are only beginning to turn. Lacking summer heat here!

That’s awesome! I’ve sliced persimmons and dried them but never dehydrated them whole. Are they difficult to eat when they are dried whole? That seems much easier!!

They are actually small, except for the ones on the counter when are a bit bigger. We are in DFW, so we have had lots of HOT weather.

Have you ever heard of drying persimmons naturally. Check this thread out.

Air dried Hachiya persimmon - #9 by tonyOmahaz5.

I love the video at post #12 by @PatapscoMike.
A beautifully made video.

Prior to serving, my wife slices them into smaller pieces.

Awesome thread about drying persimmons whole. I usually eat or share most of my harvest, but I might have to try a few with that method.

I did it last year using 3 store bought Hachiyas. I hung them from the wire shelf above a washer and dryer.

Dried persimmons’ sweetness is concentrated. They also have wonderful aroma. It is best to eat dried persimmons with hot tea (straight tea, no milk, no sugar). It is excellent.

2 Likes

Hi everyone - this seems like the perfect forum to ask:

Are dried sakiko persimmons sweet when you dry them in a machine (like to make slices, rather than the traditional way)? What do they taste like?

I can’t stand astringent persimmons the way they ripen on the counter (gross jelly soft) and I can’t find dried astringent persimmons, only Fuyu. So - before I put my little Saijo persimmon in the ground, I’d like to know how the dried slices taste because that is the only way I would eat the fruit.

Sorry to comment with a specific question but it seemed like a good opportunity. Many thanks.

Dried, sliced astringent persimmons are not soft or jelly-like. They are nice and chewy.

Freezing them is also an option. They are like sorbet. We stick the whole persimmon in the freezer. When we take one out, we give it a few minutes on the counter, before cutting it in half to eat.

I just hung some of my persimmons, per the posts above. Can’t wait to see how they turn out!! If they turn out well, I’ll make sure that I cut more of my persimmons with a little more stem, so I have more area to tie strings.

3 Likes

Hi there - thanks so much for responding!
I can understand they are not jelly like when dried - but are they sweet when dried in slices in a dryer? Or do they retain their astringency?

I dried tamopan persimmons, which are an astringent type persimmon. They were not soft ripe, but fully colored. The astringency disappeared when dried.

Very sweet, like the sweetest of candy…