Scott F Smith?

So I was looking through our forum here at people’s experiences with Asian Persimmon cultivars and I came across a few I’d never heard of so I Googled those cultivars and found this guy on Houzz named scottfsmith who had a bunch of them and was sharing his experience with them. Then I found a “blurb” about some of them and it was a Scott Smith blurb, so I was like “hmmm, I wonder if it’s the same guy. Maybe I can find him on growingfruit…” Then I was like “hey, isn’t the growingfruit forum some guy named Scott’s forum?” So I came back here and sure enough, here I am, just a young padawan wandering aimlessly through the orchard. Anywho, I just thought I’d share my rapidly-evolved newfound appreciation for “some guy named Scott.”

15 Likes

I found this from some of @Alan’s old posts on GW, specifically his long writeups about why he thinks GoldRush is the perfect backyard apple and Harrow Sweet is the perfect backyard pear in this climate. Those posts now appear to be gone.

I never actually registered for that other site, but this place is definitely an upgrade.

3 Likes

@scottfsmith is the founder of this forum. He is very knowledgeable and a great guy. Several of the old time members here previously hanged out that Gardenweb/Fruit and Orchard forum for years. Then, Houzz bought Gardenweb and made changes for the worse.

In Feb 10, 2015, Scott created this forum and opened it up to all of us who want to discuss growing fruit without having to deal with pop-up advertisements and other headaches. Most of us from Gardenweb/Houzz followed him here.

The forum has grown. It’ll turn 5 years old in less than a month.

Welcome aboard.

11 Likes

Ahhh, I see! I was never a member of either of those forums, but after reading around this one a little bit I gleaned that things went sour at the other one. I’d say that being here has certainly been a pleasant experience so far.

1 Like

You should skim through this to better understand how to get the most out of this forum, there are a lot of very useful features: FAQs For New Members

For example if you aren’t into politics you can just Mute that category.

1 Like

Alrighty, I’ll check out the faq right now, thanks. And I’m definitely not into politics, just liberty and justice :wink:

2 Likes