Second leaf Gold Rush is about to flower

Galina,
I just finished pruning the first round of apples and pears. Took off clusters of flowers to save me time and the tree energy.

4 Likes

Mine are not open yet, not even visible very well in the leaf cluster,. But if I look closer, I can see them and touch them.

This is an old thread but resurrecting it. I was out doing a little work on my trees this afternoon and noticed this on my gold rush. Do you think that will make a flower next spring? It is on a seedling root and 2019 will be its third leaf I think

That looks like it, but it depends on many factors…

The tree has three other trunks with other types of apples , the gold rush looks more like spurs on it this fall than the other trees. I really have no experience with apples just comparing it to my pears

My Goldrush is very young - just finishing its third leaf. On Gen30 and then re-planted to bury the graft union, if memory serves. I ran outside with the flashlight to take a peek. All the spur buds look like yours, narrower than blooming buds I’ve seen on my other apples. My guess at this time is that this bud is vegetative. If I’m wrong, we’ll both be surprised. Lotsa possible spurs, if that is the case, and I will allow it only one or two sample fruits next season, because it is already a natural semi-dwarf.

It won’t be long and we will know what’s hidden in here. Probably leaves but who knows

4 Likes

What about this on my wild apple from Kazakhstan? Flowers ?

1 Like

Well that gold rush and the wild Kazakhstan both have blooms this spring

5 Likes