Seeking advice on girdled tree

Albert Einstein?

Yes, that was me.

1 Like

How well does your Fuji tree do? Iā€™m completely top working mine because it gets cedar apple rust and scab so bad every year.

The fuji is still young but it has been the best against Cedar Apple Rust compared to my others.

After this spring there will be maybe 2 branches left that are fuji. Ill be grafting a bunch of different stuff onto it.
Im sure i have extra apple scion to spare if your interested.
I have scion of a bunch of different apples this yr.

I have a 28 year old Fuji on M7 that does not get significant Cedar apple rust nor significant scabā€¦
despite juniperus virginiana (red cedar) all over my neighborhoodā€¦including a few feet from the trees.
(In fact, once I lost my Yellow Delicious, Iā€™ve not had too much trouble with diseases period except on Granny Smith).
Dormant oil usually all I spray in a season.

Considering how much im reading that others are not having as bad of an issue, Iā€™m starting to wonder if my tree was mislabeled.

I have heard of ā€œEarly Fujiā€ and ā€œFujiā€.
We may have different varieties.
I also have cedars very close to my apple trees and the golden delicious was hit hard with C.A.R

Today I noticed that one scaffold of my Korean Giant got girdled by a piece of twine that I had tied to it to pull the branches down. Tree grew so fast and I mustā€™ve missed it. Iā€™m wondering if I should try to poke the twine out with something sharp. Iā€™m worried Iā€™d do it more damage than good. If I leave it alone will it grow over it?
On the bright side of things, I do see that I got 3 fruit spurs right below the damage.

1 Like

You could try cutting it with a hacksaw blade wouldnā€™t do as much damage that way

2 Likes