Selecting new Corn from Old

The purple ears will stain your hands!

6 Likes

Look up Maize Morado. It has the hp gene which makes purple so intense it is almost black. It is used to make a reddish purple drink in parts of South America. This reminds me that I need to grow out my Maize Morado seed next year.

3 Likes

I grew Morado last year, first time growing corn. My seed came from Baker Creed. I harvested mine a bit earlier, cooked them and ate them like sweet corn. Not as sweet as regular store-bought yellow sweet corn but quite good. I don’t know whether it can be used as popcorn.

Here are a few pictures:

3 Likes

Just getting around to shelling this year’s crop. Some of the range of colors in the cobs. I’m shooting for all purple.

4 Likes

I grow the “Painted Mountain” and I have not tried popping the corns yet…

4 Likes

Isn’t painted mountain a flour corn?

I believe so. I mainly use them as decoration and gave some to friends.

Here’s this year’s harvest. Only moderate color improvement. Not going to use this for seed, as pollination was atrocious this year from all the rain. This and another 2 cups is from about 100 plants, to give you an idea of just how bad.

2 Likes

Nice color.

These are some of the varieties I grew this year. I am working on breeding a large, purple-red corn. I use all my corn to mill and cook with. I get many of the rarer varieties from Sand Hill Preservation, they carry hundreds of varieties. I can’t see the images to comment on each but the varieties I grew this year are: Goliath (white), Striped Hickory King (super prolific, some orange ears which are beautiful and tastes great), Open Oak Party, Abenaki, Glass Gem (trying to increase ear size), Otto File, Lenore (red-brown), and a few others.

strong text

2 Likes

Grind up that painted mountain in a coffee grinder and make cornbread with the flour. You won’t be disappointed.

1 Like