Serviceberries?

I was going to say exactly what @don1357 said - the leaves look like it but I don’t know why there wouldn’t be berries this time of year. Even when I loose my berries to rust, they hang on until almost ripe.

It’s in full shade, heavy deer pressure, and was mowed a few years ago. How well do they take to transplanting

This is my first year getting fruit from my two Autumn Brilliance and my Regent. Over half the fruit mummified as you mentioned. I thought it had to do with maybe not a good enough pollination. Is there a way to check if it is curculio or is that the only cause of them shriveling up?

Very important to get Amelanchier canadensis if you want something cedar apple rust resistant. Northline and Autumn brilliance do NOT fit this bill (I almost made this mistake myself). From what I understand, the further north you are, the less of a problem Cedar apple rust is.

The only named serviceberry I know of that is Amelanchier canadensis would be Braveheart from Peaceful Heritage. Last I asked (a few months ago), Blake mentioned he might have some more of them this summer.

1 Like

I have Autumn Brilliance and it is a rust magnet. Has to be sprayed or the entire crop is ruined.

1 Like

The fruit will have a small dot in them. If you cut one open while it is still green you’ll find the worm inside.

Besides the dot the fact that it mummified without dropping off tells you that it is not stress, and lack of pollination would drop then right after flower stage without any fattening taking place.

I actually have better luck using Autumn Brilliance than A. canadensis seedlings.
Cumulus, a patented hybrid, (probably off patent I feel sure)…is the worst.
Pretty tree, but fruits all distorted by rust.

Princess Diana I’ve seen no rust on so far.

1 Like

Probably serviceberry…though it doesn’t quite look like any I’ve grown.
Are you in Pacific Northwest? Or Utah? Or? The native species in Kentucky/N.Carolina have longer and less rounded leaves.

Youngest daughter is in from CA. She and I picked about a quart of serviceberries and some mulberries yesterday morning. There is not a serviceberry left on any of the dozen or so bushes here today… birds stripped them of anything showing any red over the course of the day yesterday.

1 Like

I think now that it is a douglass spirea. I saw a very similar plant with dead flowers still attached

No, I don’t think so. Nor birchleaf spirea, either.
Amelanchier of some species most likely.

I concur. That’s an Amelanchier IMO. The color of the leaves is very characteristic- that blue green, as does the form and growth habit. The shape of the leaf is somewhat unique. Perhaps it’s Amelanchier bartramiana? It looks like it’s growing on some pretty shallow soil. Tell us more about where it’s growing. I have lots of little ones of similar size and form in the woods near my home. They seem to tolerate the stress of growing there, and then probably benefit if and when there is an opening…

1 Like

I just looked and I do have one alnifolia with very similar leaves. It’s a seedling of ‘Northline’

1 Like

I made a small batch with saskatoon, honeyberry, black currant, strawberries, and raspberries- it was my favorite jam.

1 Like

I got a couple plants for a family friend in Oregon to try- I think it was smokey and honeywood (Amelchanier alnifolia). I didn’t really think about it before, but they have quite a few cedar trees around their place. They have some old apple trees too but they never had any problems with those either.

They called me a few days ago and said the saskatoons are covered in an orange goo. I think it has to be cedar rust. I think the treatment is to prune away the infected areas. It’s kind of a bummer because long term I think they’ll have to rip these plants out.

I see a ‘Smokey’ alnifolia seedling has this leaf shape as well. Seems the leaf shape changes a bit as they age. Young leaf form that I was accustomed to seeing is on the bottom. They have a purplish hue too when young. The blue coloration of the nature leaves is pretty unmistakable.

1 Like

A. Canadensis seedlings probably…the little guys / colorful leaves.