Shellbark Hickory

Found a shellbark hickory producing well this year. I’ll be sprouting half and eating half. What is a great recipe to try these in?

2 Likes

Hickory nut pie is amazing. Takes about a cup of shelled nuts. Use a good pecan pie recipe.

4 Likes

Agree. If you’ve had hickory pie… pecan just doesn’t make the grade, anymore.
Here’s my go-to: https://www.goldeneaglesyrup.com/re

3 Likes

Now I’m wondering what I’ve been doing with my life up to this point.
I will say, though, if you really want to upgrade a pecan/hickory/walnut pie, try subbing sorghum syrup for corn syrup.

1 Like

Tastes vary… my wife wants hers made with light(clear) Karo. I prefer Golden Eagle, but have made it with AlaGa cane syrup, when I didn’t have Golden Eagle on hand.
I’ve not tried one with sorghum, but bet it’d be good. I’ve considered making one with the hickory syrup that I make from nutshells (and nut husks) left over from cracking and picking out shagbark & shellbark nutmeats.

Golden Eagle syrup, which I grew up putting on pancakes, waffles, biscuits, etc., was a blend of corn syrup, cane syrup, and honey… no thin, watery ‘maple’-flavored syrup for me! Though, in recent years, they’ve changed the formulation somewhat, it’s now a blend of corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, cane sugar syrup, molasses and pure honey. Recent pie experiences have been not as I generally expected… the filling hasn’t ‘set up’ like it used to… I’m blaming (right or wrong) the inclusion of high fructose corn syrup.

2 Likes

In the post / link below…

The first youtube vid - a lady shows processing and uses for persimmons…
She mentions a persimmon pecan pie.

How about a persimmon hickory pie.

TNHunter

2 Likes

I’ve made good pecan pies with 1/4 maple syrup (the real stuff) and 3/4 karo syrup. The flavor is a step up as compared with plain syrup. They need a few more minutes to cook to evaporate the extra moisture.

Have to also toss a suggestion in for a hickory nut cake. I’ve made them with hickory nuts in a cream cheese icing and with hickory nuts baked into the cake. Either way is delicious.

3 Likes

Just a fyi,for pecan pies, you can substitute hickory syrup for Karo syrup. It is tastier an healthier.