Here’s my version I made today of Scott’s aluminum backed bubblewrap fig envelope. Many, many staples along three edges and a box of ground staples with 20 bricks all around bottom edge. Then I mounded mulch over the edge. Before covering I put a cardboard box over the fig stems so they wouldn’t poke through the wrap. I split the two end joints about 5 inches so they’d lay flat on ground.
If I do this again I might try to make a tall cone of bubblewrap with just one long joint I can tape with Gorilla tape. And I’d use say 6 inch ground staples instead of 4 inch. And I’d do it December. I have three winterizing methods in place, will report in Spring. Thanks to everyone for tips!