Snake ID

I caught a copperhead when I was about 13, had no idea what it was until it yawned and those fangs folded out. Good thing I had plenty of practice on garter snakes! I made sure to look at this one’s eye before getting close and saw a round pupil.

2 Likes

Milk, hoosier…corn have spots but not the “black outline” around each spot

2 Likes

When I was in elementary school I took a jar full of baby copperheads to school for show and tell(not knowing they were copperheads). My mom got a call from the school.

3 Likes

Can I revive this thread for another snake ID? Is this a baby garter snake? Hard to find good pictures with a Google search

1 Like

I may have posted a bit early… found a pretty good site and I think this is an Eastern Rat Snake. When they are young, they have this pattern and are black as adults. I’ve seen adult Rat Snakes around so this makes sense now.

1 Like

Looks like the rat snakes we have around here.

2 Likes

We call those rat snakes and as @shein33 said, they turn more black when they are adults- though you can still see the gray pattern slightly. They also get really, really big here! (6 ft +). Harmless.

2 Likes

It might be a fox snake. We had one that lived around our little garden pond. It liked to be in the water.

1 Like