'Sochi' Tea success in 6B

I dont think mine would have either till it his the 10’s f.

2 Likes

We didn’t got a cold winter… almost no frosts.

1 Like

It has been a while since I posted on here how the Sochi tea seedling I planted has been doing, it’s been about 4 years in the ground outside now, I think

I’m really excited for it this year - it was a mild winter and I think for the first time it may be producing some fruits/pods and (hopefully) maybe some viable seed. It looks like out of the dozens of blooms it put on over the late summer, fall, and winter, maybe 5-10 have held on and look to be swelling up and showing signs of fertilization, if I’m not just mistaking them for misshapen flower buds

I didn’t really do anything to protect it over the winter since it was so mild (I think It registered on my weather station maybe somewhere between 10-15 degrees f a night or two here in my area) - just a bit of pine straw around it

3 Likes

Mine look worse. Thats just how they are after winter. I got plenty of seeds from 2 of my 3 plants. The third suffered being split in half by falling ice so its spending a year recovering.
Tea Seeds Zone 7 - Trading Post - Growing Fruit

1 Like

I really want to join the growing Camila sinensis group but my fiance said we already have all the tea in China in our cupboard. How well do they do as understory plants?

They’ll survive in understory situations unless they get too dry before getting established…but they may not bloom much, and I can’t speak to the quality of the tea or lack of it.

They are understory plants in the wild. They like the same acidic soil conditions blueberries do. The location I planted them in augmented with elemental sulfur, peatmoss and hollytone(to provide the microorganisms to process sulfur into acids.

PM your address and I can send you a few seeds.

1 Like

Any chance I could get a few seeds also? I’ll send my address.

1 Like

I think you could also reproduce it from cuttings.
Might not be super simple, but possible.

1 Like

Look who’s blooming!

9 Likes