Solar generation with farming

3 Likes

More data is always good data, regardless of if you agree with the results of a study based on personal opinion. Because in the end, scientific research is more telling than all of our opinions!

3 Likes
3 Likes

Not sure that anyone would have reservations on solar powered autonomous weeding robots…

1 Like

this looks brilliant for my summers- I need shade for almost every vegetable, and I could use the electricity to cut on AC costs. now if only I could afford the panels and installation

3 Likes

"Agrivoltatics, the term for using land for both farming and solar power , comes with the primary advantage of minimizing the overall need for land. The challenge is that traditional solar panels, which typically lay near the ground, don’t work for this purpose. The plants themselves need soil, sun, and space to grow, after all.

To deal with this problem, Next2Sun’s key focus is on special bifacial solar modules that are installed vertically and efficiently collect sunlight from both the front and back side of their panels. This strategy is especially helpful in areas where land is expensive and in regions and countries where space, overall, is limited. "

A vertical system eliminates one of the main challenges I’ve seen in this thread, removal of productive farmland and it’s opportunity cost.

2 Likes