Soliciting opinions on honeyberry/haskap

Hi everyone,

I’m planning to get two Honeyberry/Haskap plants. I’m interested in them because 1) I like rare fruits 2) curious to see what they taste like 3) I hear they taste like blueberries and I don’t want to deal with growing blueberries in my alkaline soil (6.9 ph) so I figure these would be a good stand in.

I’ve seen some mixed reviews, and I’m not sure if those were based on earlier cultivars. I’m looking at the new varieties from University of Saskatchewan, Boreal Beauty and Boreal Beast.

I’m curious to hear people’s thoughts on honeyberry. I plan to use them for fresh eating and freezing for use in baked goods.

4 Likes

Never had them but many people describe it as a cross between many fruits. Weird Fruit explorer said it tasted kind of like a cross between gooseberry and blueberries for example. I have given up on the more uncommon fruits because they are often not grown for a reason. Thought I do hear haskap are bigger in Canada. I actually think they sell them in super markets there.

2 Likes

I wouldnt knock uncommon fruits. I think pawpaws are amazing. :grinning: Weird Fruit Explorer’s review was actually part of the reason I want to grow it. He seemed rather favorable.

2 Likes

At the same time he is rather favorable to most fruits. He finds a way to enjoy it. If it is something like chokecherry or elderberry he will make a jam. If he is doing a video on donut peaches he eats it fresh, if he makes a video on tea leaves he makes tea. Only fruit I remember him talking bad about is nani and a fruit from Jamaica. Maybe the glue fruit too.

1 Like

I guess I never noticed :smile:. I know I did read other favorable reviews as well, but many others were “meh”

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Israel! I planted Aurora, Beast, Beauty, and Blizzard this year but only Beast appears to have survived due to my errors (the plants were great when I received them). From all the reading I’ve done, the big thing you will want to look for is pollination partners that work well together if you only decide to grow two varieties. This entails both bloom time and a bit of research to see what others find to work well.

They are pretty long threads, but I highly recommend the following two before you make a decision. I can almost guarantee you’ll make up your mind after reading them. For what it’s worth, I plan to propagate the ones I mentioned above as well as Strawberry Sensation, Indigo Treat, Honeybee (the best pollinator for a few mentioned) and a few only currently available in Europe if they ever make it stateside.

2 Likes

From my research, Boreal Beauty and Beast are good compatible partners. I will take a look at those forums. Thanks for the link!

1 Like

You are welcome! Additionally, I’m sure you’ll see it in the links but Aurora is known as THE best currently available for fresh eating. Most people seem to prefer cooking with haskaps vs fresh eating. I’m not sure which you intend to do. Also I saw a video shared somewhere about a person who fabricated a “picker tool” using a bent pvc pipe attached to a reciprocating saw (Sawzall) to shake the trees. I plan to make a similar setup for mine once they are big enough to harvest.

2 Likes

I don’t find much blueberry taste to them when raw. They aren’t anything remarkable fresh, but are wonderful cooked, somewhat like cherries without the pits. I do nibble a few while I pick, mostly to see how the different varieties compare. There isn’t much difference in flavor, except that the old varieties like Berry Blue are more astringent raw, tend to be spitters. Also, don’t pick them too early. Sour! They are fairly easy to grow if protected from the critters and birds. Go for it!

1 Like

Im not all that interested in fruit that isn’t at least acceptable for fresh eating. Looking at you, aronia! :grinning:

1 Like

Have you eaten Aronia fresh off the bush? It isn’t a sweet berry, but I don’t find it offensive at all. I can eat them fresh off the bush no problem. Plus, they are healthier than the açaí berry (which is in every health supplement store or smoothie shop). The birds leave it alone, and I’ve dug some out of the snow and eaten them fresh off the bush…in November. That’s probably the max they can go as they are starting to get wrinkled at that point.

In regards to honeyberry, you can’t go wrong with the U of S varieties. Aurora is very popular on this forum, but I think blizzard is the best. You should look into that one.

I saw this posted online about a honeyberry taste test in Österreich (Austria). Blizzard dominated. Vostorg (it’s a Polish or Russian variety) and Aurora looked tied for second.

4 Likes

No doubt there is a market (and money) in growing haskaps in zones 3-5.
The Canadians, the Poles, the Czechs, the Russians–have demonstrated that. At the very least, it’s a worthwhile choice for a few plants in a zone 6 location that has a neutral or slightly acid soil. And maybe zone 7…though more experimenting and testing is needed.
Since you asked for “opinions”…I’m sure you’ll get all kinds!

I find that blueberries can be grown in containers by the home gardener…this overcomes the pH problem (but would not likely be commercially viable).

In my opinion, for “edible landscaping” honeyberries should be part of the mix of plantings…if winters get down to 5 or 10 degrees…or if they get to -50 F.

2 Likes

i have aurora, indigo treat / gem and honeybee. all were good right from the bush but i dont mind a little sour. aurora is the best. these are one of my favorite fruits. they should grow well in your zone. they are also pest / disease free. they have a interesting flavor that me and the wife love. havent got enough to process yet. very good with some cream and sprinkled with sugar or in yogurt.

2 Likes

to me they’re just a bigger and more sour blueberry, and they’re up to two weeks earlier but the ones I tried are only one week early. I live in a major blueberry producing area and have acidic soil so I don’t plan to add any more honey berries

2 Likes

i actually prefer them over blueberries. my soil here grows both very well. i have 5 highbush blues as well but still prefer the complex taste of honeyberries.

1 Like

Would kids like them?

1 Like

No, probably not initially. Many adults don’t even like them. My wife thinks they should be called “vinegar” berries- she thinks “honey” berry is misleading. I’ve tested them with the neighbor kids and friends kids and none of them will eat the berries. I think you have to be mature to appreciate the flavor. A young kid will like a blueberry more than a honeyberry. All the ones I have witnessed were toddlers- maybe once a kid is 5 years or older they will appreciate the berries.

If you want to feed your kids you can’t go wrong with blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries. Honeyberries, Aronia, and gooseberries would probably be experimental. I suppose if there was nothing else to eat they would eventually come to enjoy the berries.

3 Likes

I like redcurrants. Are honeyberries more intense than those?

3 Likes

more intense but deeper flavor profile. like Moose says its more appreciated by adults. ive heard they really shine processing. hopefully next year ill be able to try that. i find they are better than red currant.

1 Like

So is this kind of like a blackcurrant, rubbish for fresh eating but shines when baked, jammed, etc? Yes, yes, I know a lot of people like blackcurrants fresh, but they are a polarizing flavor.

1 Like