Some of the biggest mistakes in fruit growing are its greatest achievements

I can understand getting the father wrong, but getting the wrong mother is a colossal screw up.

3 Likes

@murky

That’s what i thought as well!

Isn’t that the case for many fruit though? The fruit grown for store purposes is selected for storage and not flavor. Many apple people claim honey crisp is overrated. Thing is they are limited to store varieties and honeycrisp is one of the top store ones. Fuji is not consistent due to not having to legally clarify on strains, gala is not the best apple strain Cosmic Crisp had a bunch of hype behind it at first but the name to me is forgettable and it is not consistent in quality. I would say the only apple that competes with honey crisp at the stores in terms of overall quality and staying the same is pink lady and you not only pay more for those too but they are smaller. Plus some may not like the tartness to pink lady. Once you start looking at apple cultivars at home the apple world opens up to you and it is overwhelming. There are at least 7500 apple cultivars and the USA is home to at least 2500 of them.

2 Likes