Some pictures of trees

Jonafree, with several grafts.

First year William’s Pride.

Second year Golden Delicious with Liberty grafted on top.

4 Likes

Then this happened. This was suppose to be an Asian pear tree, pretty sure it is not. I think it is a Starking from Stark Bros. Anyway…

I know this happens, but multiple buds are still flowering!!! I took this picture Sunday. It is not just one bud, but entire branches that are pushing open. If they do this, they won’t flower in the spring, correct. Is there anything I can do about it now?

This tree really wants to grow.

4 Likes

Enterprise Apples

5 Likes

Unknown pear

3 Likes

Hosui pear

7 Likes

This was supposed to be saijo persimmon. Sure doest look like it.

4 Likes

Sorry No Saijo there. Saijo fruits more like an acorn shape.

5 Likes

Where did you buy this tree from?

1 Like

Stark Brothers

I’m done with them. They sent me the wrong plum tree, a wrong pear tree and now this.

My only thought is that their website says its “grafted” so maybe I missed something and the rest of the tree is saijo and this one branch was the root stock.? That is the only fruit on the tree. I have grafted coffeecake and chocolate onto it this spring so I don’t want to remove it.

4 Likes

The leaves in the pictures look like it’s a kaki and not rootstock. Maybe it’s one of the nonastringent ones they carry like Fuyu or Jiro. I have a Saijo from Edible Landscaping that I can offer scions if you remind in the winter or early spring. It hasn’t fruited yet so I don’t know for sure if it’s the true variety.

2 Likes

Thanks for the offer. I’ll let you know in the winter.

Jim your Enterprise Apple got a lot of color, do the squirrels leave them alone even if they have that much color?
I see you got some rust spots or something. You don’t spray for it? Do you get good apples anyway? I thought Enterprise was a disease resistant variety.
Beautiful trees!

1 Like

I love these pics where you guys can just grow out in the open, without having to fence the @$&@ deer out.

2 Likes

Hey Susu,
I too thought they looked pretty red for this time of year. Not sure why. I’ve had to trap 5 squirrel so far with minimal loss. Glad they prefer peanut butter and sunflower seeds over unripe apples.

As for the spray, I only spray Surround, spinosad, and sulpher, three times in the spring. The Enterprise and Jonafree both get the rust, but they seem to grow through it. Maybe that’s what resistance means.
I for the first time sprayed Immunox on second year Goldrush because it defoliated from what I assume was CAR last year. It looks better this year.

3 Likes

I am getting a ton of deer pressure all of a sudden. Can’t see it in the picture, but I have a fishing line fence up, which I feel stops them for a period, then they figure it out. I started spraying stinky stuff last week, which may be working some.

3 Likes

This is Toka plum with Satsuma plum graft. The Satsuma is flowering. Thanks for the graft @Drew51 . I’ll be grafting Larado onto it soon

This is Methley plum flowering. Only half the tree has flowers on it. I’ll blame letting it over set last year (so many plums last year). This tree also has Purple Heart, Shiro, Superior and Satsuma on it.

And this is my neighbor’s flowering cherry. Just a pretty tree.

15 Likes

Pakistani mulberry is opening up. Looks real healthy and survived the winter in my unheated garage here in eastern Pennsylvania.

2 Likes

While biking a few days after a storm in Youngstown area, I came across this tree.
Cambium exposed like a banana peel.

6 Likes

Pretty humorous, I wonder if someone may have done that on purpose.

Nice trees! Does anyone come along and pick the fruit being they are close to the road?

Maybe someone is going to use that peeled bark to make paper, or fabric, using the traditional method.

1 Like