Spray temps?

Clark,

Actually, there are quite a few peach orchards in KS (but you are right it’s a very minority crop considering all the crops grown. Peaches get virtually no attention compared to livestock, prairie, and row crops).

From the Growingfruit map, you live over by Lawrence, which isn’t too far away from me. Some peach orchards in our area on the KS side are Pome on the Range (apple and peach orchard) SW of Ottawa on I-35. Gieringer’s Orchard is in Edgerton. Sunflower Orchard is in Paola. Stephen’s Orchard is in Bonner Springs. I understand there are also a few orchards left in the Wichita area, but I’m unfamiliar w/ those.

You are also right there are a lot more peach orchards on the MO side. Up near Lexington/Waverly there are several peach orchards. Those areas are much more conducive to growing peaches because they have the moderating spring temperature effects from the MO river, something you and I probably both wish we had this year, as the early bloom will probably mean a loss of many specialty fruit crops (including peaches) for our area.

1 Like

Clark, Olpea, my brother lives in Lawrence- does ornamental iron work from his forge in Pleasant Grove. We’re from Arkansas but Walt went to school in Lawrence and met a gal …

: -)M

2 Likes

I realize this is an old thread.

It seems from what I’ve read here and what I can find on the interwebs that there should be no problem spraying Imidan and Captan when forecast temps are going to be well into the 90s?

I need to get my trees sprayed, but it’s going to be hot for about the next week.

Hort oil is the only pesticide that I know of with a temp restriction. Never spray it on leafed out trees when temps get into the '90’s. Of course relative humidity plays into this equation as well as does any existing drought stress in trees being sprayed.

Fruit pests love the heat (especially warm nights). Spray away.

Thanks alan.

I just got in from spraying Captan and Imidan with some sticker/spreader.

1 Like