Starting a orchard

I live in a very different Z6b so advice on varieties would be useless.

Get something that works in your area. At least for your first tree. Even if it’s not your favorite fruit. Well-ripened homegrown anything is likely to be very good. Nothing is sweeter than success.

The county extension agent would know. Active garden club members would too. Include good berry varieties in your area for your ask. It doesn’t absolutely have to be a tree, right?

Not only do I feel that mentioning a lower learning curve is important but I feel learning to lower expectations is a big thing too. Once 2020 happened with Covid19 and there is so many new gardeners out there trying to produce fruit I have seen lots of posts in gardening groups about how they spent X amount of money and they got way less. So many will buy raised beds and not realize how much produce it will take to make that up. Or they will see food forest videos where they are talking about how they feed a family of 4 or more on 1/4 acre in Washington from Parkrose Permaculture but not realize how much she likely spent on buying all her plants, how many years it likely took her to grow them, how her climate allows her to grow many plants with her zone but have them watered etc. Simply put there is so many expectations and with new gardeners in particular. I remember when I was 18 through early 20s and starting gardening that months seemed like forever let alone years too. Now I make multi year plans and they come faster than I think.

3 Likes

OP might be new and not know all that they could be getting into. I hoped my response was educational and not too discouraging.