Starting Peach/Nectarines from pits

Would you mind explaining the process you followed for your apricot seedlings in a bit more detail? I am interested in trying this. Thanks in advance.

Hi Scott- I’ve often had apricots volunteer in the garden- at least, I think that’s what they were. I suppose, on reflection, they could have been plums.

I stuck a few 'cots in a planter last week in hopes that they’ll vernalize and sprout next spring. Then I’ll know for sure!

I agree Scott my peach seeds also seem to grow themselves. I have read seeds from earlier varieties (as well as donuts) don’t germinate that well naturally, but I’ve seen seedlings come up under just about any peach tree. Still, when I gather seeds to plant in a row, I try to gather from varieties after Redhaven.

I’ve had good luck growing my own apple rootstocks by just gathering a bunch of seeds and putting them in a plastic bag in the fridge, then planting them in the spring.

I’ve not had any luck germinating plum seeds, but I’ve not tried planting very many.

Olpea,
We get sprouts of apples, pears, peaches, sour cherries in the same way. Once you have fertile seed you will get starts. My plums are thicket forming which as you know means they send runners through the ground. They divide easily when they are dormant. The plums or apricots never have grown from seed yet . I used to say peaches never came up from seed so one of these days the apricots and plums are going to surprise me.

I crack the apricots seeds, then I soak the kernels in water for about half an hour. After that, in a sandwich bag I add miracle gro indoor potting mix soil, and a bit of water—The soil should stay moist but not wet—and finally I add the kernels. Then I store the sandwich bag in the fridge in the egg section for about two months. Every three to four days, I open the bag for about a minute so the seeds could receive oxigen.

Once the kernels start to root, I take them out of the bag and plant them in their individual pots.

2 Likes

Thanks. When is the best time of year to start the whole process?

EDIT: Thanks, Derby. Found this link

There is more on this topic on the thread seed savers, I think there is a way to link to it but I am not so sharp on how to do it.

1 Like

I plant peach seeds (later varieties) immediately when I squish them out of the drops. Then I forget about them till they come up in Spring.

Hard to believe it’s been almost 2 years since I started these peach/nectarine seedlings. Here’s a picture of the one that’s doing the best. The amount of growth it’s putting on is incredible. Probably the right combination of soil and sun. Not sure how much longer until I might see fruit on it, maybe another two years if I’m lucky.

3 Likes

You will probably see blossoms and a few fruits next year (from the larger tree).

1 Like

My peach seedlings started to bloom in their third season. The first fruit developed in the fourth season. Thats the beauty with peaches from pits. You can experiment with them alot trying to find a seedling with good quality fruit, since they are so precocious (mine were so lala).

1 Like

that would be nice…

1 Like

When one grows peaches, nectarines, apricots from pit - are they more likely to come true to the parent plant, or do they come out completely odd like apples grown from seed?

I have about 14 pear trees grown from seed in my backyard. What are the chances a normal pear will come from them?

1 Like

I have a few fruits on one of my peach seedlings this year. I am happy to see they are sizing up pretty well.

Naomi, peaches are more likely to come true to seed than apples or pears. More generally, self-pollinating plants are more likely to be more like the parents than non-self-pollinating ones. Its something related to genetic distance which I don’t understand.

3 Likes

that’s good to know. I’m amazed at how fast this tree is growing, seems like it’s putting on more growth every day…

1 Like

I have 1 nectarine on a seedling. I’ve noticed most of my seedlings come out as nectarines, but that makes sense because its mostly what i buy.

1 Like

Question! My seedling peach is always loaded with fruit but too sour for me to eat. Only a friend from Cambodia adores sour fruit. They are also small to medium. Must be a rootstock I am not familiar with.

1 Like

AFAIK, stone fruit grown from seed tends to have much more resemblance to its parent(s) than apples and pears.

1 Like

I had two dozen newly-potted apricot seedlings ripped up and eaten by a squirrel in less than an hour last year! Grrr! If you plant peach or apricot seeds, you might have to protect them from the tree-rats!

1 Like

same problem when I initially started mine…but they only got 3 or 4 and left the others alone for some reason…

1 Like