Stone Fruit Diseases are worse on wet years

No. I don’t feel comfortable with copper so I only spray dormant oil (twice) early before leaf out and then Spectracide twice again.

I’ll pluck those leaves this evening…

I am no expert but it sure looks like peach leaf curl. As it progresses, the leaf will die any way imo and the fungus will move on to its next stage. By removing the leaves you help break its cycle. I have a peach tree that has some of it almost every year.

1 Like

Scott,
Sorry to here about the black knot it can be difficult to eradicate. It’s one of those diseases that if it’s in your area it will be back much like Fireblight. The bad diseases like that occasionally remind me I need to step up my game. I finally started using copper after I resisted using it for many years. Copper cleared up a lot of problems.

Ray,
I sure hope the Fireblight does not show up here this year. I primarily grow pears and some apples and it hit a branch on every tree in a row last year. I cut off 5 or so big branches.

2 Likes

Clark,
I’ve had repeated strikes on two of my trees, but none of the
others, which makes no sense. It’s even plagued my healthiest
tree, which never gets anything. I’m very much afraid of losing it.

Ray,
2 years ago I had two trees suddenly hit with Fireblight and they were very ill with it. One was a Kieffer and the other a clapps favorite. It appeared systemic. I read online bacteria was very sensitive to vinegar. Mixed the sprayer with 50/50 white vinegar and water and sprayed them which caused the leaves to develop black spots that went away later but the Fireblight stopped and never progressed farther. I realize vinegar is a mild weed killer but if you get desperate try it. I had trees killed to the ground with Fireblight several times and I’m convinced those would have been killed had I not gave them the vinegar and water bath. There a few posts on the internet where I got the idea. I have several trees each year or more that I use the vinegar on. The trees won’t look nice but none that I sprayed died and that was better than the alternative.

1 Like

On Tomatoville a few people have been trying bleach sprays with good results for septoria, and bac spot, even late and early blight on tomatoes. So I think the vinegar is worth a try for sure.

2 Likes

Drew,
My mom used bleach on roses once for leaf spot and it never came back after that. I know other people swear by diseases being linked to a mineral deficiency with boron, zinc, and magnesium being high on the suspect list with calcium close behind. Someday I hope we have a better understanding of many of these diseases and pests.

1 Like

Clark,
These two trees are loaded with fruit. One appears to have it in the trunk,
and is oozing liquid that is running down the trunk. Do you just spray the
trunk and branches or the leaves and fruit also. I can control the other tree
with pruning.

Ray,
I spray everything down trunk, foliage, branches, fruit until it’s dripping with vinegar water. I get bottoms and tops of leaves but do make sure and dillute it. It won’t hurt the fruit. The spot that’s oozing on the trunk I would try and carve out with a knife because it will be a point of reinfection. Yes if you don’t think you will lose it I would not worry about spraying it with vinegar but the one in real bad shape I would spray for sure.

1 Like

Clark,

" My mom used bleach on roses once for leaf spot and it never came back after that" You mean the leaf spot, not the roses that did not come back, right? :smile:

I am interested. Do you know what was the bleach/water per gal ratio your mother use. I have black spot on roses but I spray them with wettable sulfur once in a while. Sometimes, I spray them with Immunox. Either one seems to work but Immunox seem to work better and longer. Most of the times, I just don’t spray. .

1 Like

Interesting to know the vinegar/water ratio and any other added ingredient to this black spot remedy too.

She told me she used 10% bleach mixture. So 10 parts water to 1 part household bleach that comes from the store. This is the rose bush with her walking onions and peppermint growing at the base of it.

4-5 years ago I got bad leaf curl on some peaches trees, the year after I planted them. I pulled off every affected leaf- I felt a bit weird to carefully dispose of leaves…But, I haven’t seen any PLC since, until this year. Again, it is showing up on several 2nd year trees (not the same trees that got it last time). I wonder if trees come from the nursery with the spores. Or, maybe young trees are just more susceptible.

I live with a bit of blackspot, I try and plant resistant varieties, biggest thing I’ve done is started using very low firing sprinklers and only watering the soil. not wetting the leaves helps, but it rains here in the summer. So, c’est la vie.

Bleach formulations have changed over the years. Now stronger, for tomatoes I heard a 6-7% solution,
About 5 to 5.5 ounces per gallon. Seems like a lot!

1 Like

If you’re going to grow roses, unless you live in California, black
spot is a fact of life. Spraying a bleach concoction on an occasional
basis will have little, if any effect. You must spray a good fungicide
on a regular.basis. I spray my roses every two weeks, from the time I spring
prune them, until the first freeze.

Ray,
My mom only has the one rose so for her it worked. If someone is growing more than one they might want to get serious about growing them.

Clark,
That’s very true. I sprayed the pear with the vinegar solution,
and as you said, the leaves are turning black. Hope it does the
trick, but if I lose the tree, I already know what I’m going to plant
in its place. LOL

2 Likes

Ray,
Hit it again sometime later this week and again if you need to until it gets under control. I’ve never lost one to the vinegar water yet but I sure always lose them to that fireblight if I don’t try and stop it.