Stool Beds

They look great.

1 Like

Glad to see this thread, I got a couple extra rootstocks from the seminar yesterday. Iā€™d like to maybe trying propagating some M7 stock.

Are all Geneva RS still patented, and therefore arenā€™t ā€œlegallyā€ allowed to be propagated? Thanks.

Mike,
Iā€™ve used stool beds for lots of rootstocks but for the $1 or less they usually cost , itā€™s not always worth our time. Here is an example Making a pear stoolbed for propagating rootstocks - #6 by clarkinks. It does however give me a sense of security to know I know how should the need arise like it did a few years ago when they temporarily shutdown scion and rootstock supply over a possible virus. Most rootstocks come from Oregon which is Williamette and Copenhaven which supply most other places selling rootstocks. The unique pear scionwood primarily come from Corvallis. That leaves lawyer nursery primarily for rootstocks and smaller orchards for scions. Thankfully in the last several years pears have made a huge rebound and many individuals are growing them again. I know of many apples that sucker heavily which make it easy to make stool beds but that same suckering that makes so many rootstocks can be a real pain. I raise lots of seedling apples on their own roots and they sucker like crazy in most cases.

2 Likes

Dood, the link below is to an article which states the G-11 patent was applied for in 1997 and from my understanding, is now off patent. The article also states G-11 stool bed propagation is possible. I am attempting G-11 stool bed propagation this year for the 1st time and will report back with my results.

G-11 Patent

2 Likes

Thanks. So the way this works is that you plant the rootstock in the ground, let it grow for a while, then put some sawdust around the base of the stem. That allows suckers to grow up and you pull those out and plant them until they get big enough to graft scions on?

They talked very briefly about stool beds yesterday at the grafting workshop and it sounded interesting. The Geneva rootstock I have is a G202. So I guess Iā€™ll need to check its patent status.

1 Like

PMā€™d you.

My stool bed runs along the right side, from post to post. Just established it in 2017, it may be another year before I begin cutting back the original stock to prompt suckering.

2 Likes

Iā€™m thinking of starting root stocks from some of the apples already begun in this yard (air layering). Bardsey is so drought tolerant and its fruit so juicy, it seems worth a shot. That would yield a semi-dwarf. Lamb Abbey Pearmain grows small in vigor, and the fruit is reputed to have high flavor. There would be dwarves. Connell is not only vigorous, it pushes branches all over the place. It ought to make loads of fresh shoots.
The other reason - besides raising enough stocks for my needs each year by my own efforts - is that these may influence the succeeding fruit in decades to come, per an article posted by Eliza Greenman. The wild card in this mix is Connell, which was grafted only last year and has, of course, not yet fruited. Even if it cannot give good fruit in my conditions (which it still might), I suspect it would make a vigorous stock for shrimpy varieties such as Dā€™Arcy Spice, Lamb Abbey Pearmain, Court Pendu Plat and -Rose, Centennial, et. al.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a better pic :

3 Likes

The rootstock does not cost much but the shipping costs more.I decided to grow my own rootstock for my own use. I bought the root stock belowļ¼ŒI would appreciate someone tells me if these root stock can be propagated using stool bed that was discussed earlier.
Mariana 2624
ohxf333
Geneva 41
M27
Ohxf 97

2 Likes

Treco.nu includes propagation descriptions for rootstock. That will help with the G.41 and M27. Itā€™s my understanding that Pear does not root well in stooling beds so clonal propagation of pear is usually done by cuttings.

1 Like

Did not see any info regarding to the rootstock propagation. Do you have link?

It looks like the G41 patent is still valid. Did not see any patent on M27. So I can at least try stool bed of Mariana and M27 which is good enough for me to start

1 Like

OHxF pear rootstock is propagated by rooting cuttings, not stool beds.

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction. So I can just plant the rootstock and harvest the cuttings this fall for rooting

1 Like

Hereā€™s what Treco says:

Nursery Habit - GenevaĀ® 41 produces a few side shoots in the stool bed but the biggest challenge is poor root developmentā€“leading to a lower number of salable plants resulting in higher rootstock production cost. The GenevaĀ® 41 produces a tree similar to trees grown on M-9 in the nurseryā€™s.

In the layer bed EMLA 27 is a good grower producing few lateral branches. When lined-out for budding, there are very few rootstock laterals or suckers to remove. EMLA 27 is sensitive to Simazine in the nursery. Under our controlled conditions, EMLA 27 produces a high quality plant similar to that of EMLA 9 and EMLA 26.

Thanks a lot Andy, for finding the G41 rootstock infoā€¦ I bought these apple rootstocks for grafting crabapple and Chinese Hawthorne. Very likely, I will grow them in larger pots for I donā€™t have room left in my yard for another tree. I hope the rootstocks can perform well in the pots.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen a case where an established G41 tree (3 years) broke at the graft union. It was immediately regrafted. Several suckers sprouted from the roots and were successfully removed and replanted.

It was staked but not secured to the stake very well. It broke lose in a storm, with full apple load. I regrafted the stump and warned her that the bark graft would probably be even weaker. It is a gala type, which is known to have issues with G41. Iā€™m not sure how much other types of apples are at risk of similar failure.

1 Like

I did read that some one claimed the graft joint seem easy break off on G41rootstock. AJā€™s experience confirmed that thanks for sharing your valuable experiences

1 Like