Storing apples

Convenient friend!

@galinas

Look up Johnson Controls A419. See below

a419 - Google Search

It is just one of many companies that are out there. Not expensive either.

Mike

Thanks! I first need to figure out where to place that extra freezer :slightly_smiling:!

Thatā€™s one sturdy root cellar!! A great project. Weā€™ve had a root cellar in the back of our house (an underground house) for over 30 yrs. It works well for us, but it isnā€™t like the regulated frigā€™s that most folks here use. Itā€™s quite different from yours, too, in that it is a dry cellar and made of wood.

The biggest challenge is getting it cooled down in the fall, when harvest time arrives but the cellar is still warm. In summer ours is low 60ā€™s, right now itā€™s in the 50ā€™s, heading down. Winter we have a nice walk-in refrigerator! Then iitā€™s slow to warm up in the spring which is nice. Even though the air temps are going down now outside the soil is still warm so the root cellar is slow to cool. With that massive heat sink you have your experience will likely be quite different. And a different climate, of course. We have high and low vents to the outside with a small fan to turn on which helps regulate the temperature. Plus we can open the door to the adjacent pantry if it gets too cold.

Potatoes and carrots keep till early summer but the latest Iā€™ve had apples is April. Someday Iā€™ll have enough storage apples to see how they keep longer than that. I like ours and I hope you enjoy yours as much. Itā€™s a satisfying way to keep the harvest.

rootcellar-gf

11 Likes

I live in DFW, so Iā€™m not growing any apples, but we have gotten a few bushels in MO, where the husbandā€™s family lives.

Iā€™ve had issues with storage. Its too warm to leave them out. We do have a small basement, but its for pool equipment, salt equipment at that, so not a good place to put apples. Not to mention, I think it would get too hot anyway.

We have a spare frig, but even in the frig, some of the apples didnā€™t last well. Whats the best way to store apples in a frig? A couple folks mentioned bags, but I need more specifics. Open bags? Closed bags? Lots of apples in a bag or just a few?

We love apples and would love to get enough to last for a few months, but hate having any waste!

@Water0125

Generally apples should be stored at the lower to mid 30ā€™s in a relatively moist environment. If stored in a refrigerator they need to be kept in a plastic bag that restricts evaporation because a frost free refrigerator maintains very dry conditions. See comments earlier in this thread.

A very important consideration is the variety of apple you are trying to store and how ripe it was when picked. Some varieties just donā€™t store well. Generally the later the the ripening the longer it can be stored.

Also damaged or bruised apples will not keep well.

Mike

Thanks, Mike!

Do you usually close the plastic bag with a knot or twist tie?

We have generally purchased pink lady or Fuji apples, but they have other options, if you think another options would keep better.

Thanks!
Natalie.

@Water0125

I use a chest freezer (no frost free cycle to dry things out) with a temp control to keep it above freezing.

But read earlier in this thread and see how others are, in fact, able to get good results with storage in a fridge.

Mike

Yes, the somewhat underripe apples will keep longer

Jason, Did you finish your root cellar? How did it work? Sue

I have the top on but still need to make a door and get it buried. Work and other projects get in the way of my apple hobby. The top was tricky as it weighs ~6800lbs and I needed a telehandler to put it on and as extended as it was, it was almost maxed out. Iā€™m going to dump a few loads of wood chips on it and then some dirt.
Hopefully it will be finished for next years apples.
Iā€™ve been busy making cider to use up lots of my apples.
Iā€™ll try to get a picture of it with the lid on.

5 Likes

I look at this and think ā€œWow, two feet of soil and no rocks!ā€

1 Like

Storage in paper bag: I got an email from Ron Joyner at Big Horse Creek Farm in NC, says he stores apples in big paper bags, not plastic. He has a lot of experience so thought Iā€™d pass this along. Am guessing paper breathes a bit?

@hambone

Did he say at what temperature and humidity and for how long.

Mike

I assume he means in a home fridge. He didnā€™t give any more details. Tom Burford always preached to use a plastic bag and punch five or six thumb holes in the plastic to vent ethylene gas but keep humidity at a reasonable level.

1 Like

Way outside my expertise but I wonder if holes in the bag are necessary? This for instance talks about gas permeability of various food packaging ā€œplasticsā€:

1 Like