Strange weather 2023

This has been an extremely cold year for us one state away in CO. We have been getting so much snow it snows again before it melts. It does not help many days that are sunny is right above freezing or still at freezing. Our road sides are full of compacted snow and roads that are not plowed SUV are getting stuck. I don’t think it has been this bad in years.

2 Likes

It has been weird here: the early arctic blast was really exceptional, and then we got a nice mild spell. Now it is “seasonally cold” - high single digits, which is not too strange. Roads are beat up and it has been hard for the city to keep up.

Big concern is that we’ll get an early spring followed by another cold blast.

1 Like

We will see how much of this comes true…so far pretty accurate.

1 Like

Two weeks ago it was 7F. Unusually cold for December. First week in January 2023 and we have temps 40s and 50s on Long Island. Not good for fruit trees if this continues. Looking at it positively it’s comfortable working outside and the cost of heating is lower this week.

1 Like

Two weeks ago we were 7F. It was soon back to 70 and has continued mostly 50s to 70s with no freezes. For us that’s business as usual. Nothing mentioned above seems to be any different than business as usual. Hey, weather varies. It always has and always will. It makes life interesting. Unfortunately it can also be damaging and frustrating.

I’ve been affected by roughly 250 hail storms while living in Texas. Also probably 50 freezes, it seems like 100, that damaged my crops. I just lost 6 mango trees in my greenhouse. The figs are damaged but I’m not sure how much. My 45ft tall pecan is half dead from a freeze in October 2020. In 2019 it hit 17F in mid October and never got colder the rest of that winter, etc, etc.

6 Likes

last few years have been wild. unpredictable. that’s the hard thing, ice cold then balmy spring then another ice cold blast. I don’t trust the usual signs for planting times any more. (around here they say when the snow is off a certain peak it’s no more frost. not true anymore)

1 Like

It is Jan 3rd and we have bare ground and have not seen single digits here in Zone 5A Central Maine yet…and there is nothing in the 2 week forecast that indicates we will see anything close to single digit temps. This is unheard of. Winter related businesses are suffering and people are starting to die on lakes that aren’t frozen enough to handle any weight.

Fruit tree wise…they are in fine shape right now…a truly easy winter for them so far. I plant for Zone 4…this winter is a solid Zone 7 so far.

1 Like

In 2019 it was 17F in October. In 2020 it was below 20F for 36 hours in October. That’s what half killed my pecan. In 2022 we didn’t have a freeze until January 1, 2023. All business as usual. Well maybe not. No freeze until January, that’s very unusual…!!

3 Likes

As far as strange weather, it has never bothered me because it is just a minor hobby, just staying active. Lately the weather patterns are crazy, maybe because all the wild fires out west changes the patterns. Hurry up replant as fast as possible! (Climat change),!
Hasn’t been able to use my newly built walley rod, 71* yesterday, no fish on the table. Today marks my 20th year as a firefighter with our fire department.

Lots of things happening here, No time for more agriculture growing !
COOL IT, BOB. My motto!!

7 Likes

I really feel for the firefighters here, it’s really tough, dry land high desert plus all piney trees and the heat waves in summer. thanks for all that

3 Likes

Kentucky has turned into Northern Florida with with one or two cold burst a season. My heat has been off for a week and no temps below 32 for the ten day forecast. If I could afford to I would move further north to get our seasons back. The last 5 years or so trees start budding out late February not good.

2 Likes

I’ve already got Nectarines flowering.

1 Like

Jan 4th 67f, a record high. Normal average 32f rarely above 51f. Expecting temperature above 50f today.

The Farmers Almanac did an update to their previous forecast today. March looks to be ugly for me. Looks like i will get alot of snow this winter eventually.

Not sure if it’s strange but my fruit trees are here and I can’t plant them.

1 Like

why can’t you plant it? It should be warm enough in your zone. Or do you experience also some strange weather?

I just planted some today, the sun is finally out. I don’t want to be out there in the rain. It’s a good way to get sick.

2 Likes

We get more thunderstorms during winter than snow and I don’t remember having to worry about tornadoes in December either. All we can do is plant more trees.

2 Likes

In Vermont we had a World Cup ski race at the end of November. Snow was fine. Now I see my rain Barrel has no ice in it, and the snow disappeared many weeks ago. Forecast for 50’s next week. Weather can vary week to week, but pretty unusual to be strange for months.

1 Like

just got 3 jujube yesterday. the ground is still frozen. they are in a 25 gallon fabric pot in the corner until??? after frost I guess.

1 Like