Strange weather will it get our blooms and fruit 2020?

Our forecast:

It’s actually those 60s next week that concern me. Because the buds will advance more, and it’s still a month away from typical bloom time.

2 Likes

My daffodils are showing yellow flower buds and some are cracking open! I don’t think I’ve ever seen this happen in Pennsylvania at this time of the year. Your mentioning of pawpaws had me checking mine today. Sure enough, Potomac is showing budswell. Thankfully the other varieties look like they’re still very dormant.

3 Likes

Was warmer here for a while but the cold weather has been back enough to keep most thinks dormant

I have been keeping up with budding out since sometime in January Here :+1:

2 Likes

We had an 11 degree night about two weeks ago, and a couple nights in the teens last week. Even though it’s supposed to be near 20 later this week, it’s going to be near 60 a couple days next week.

I’ve kinda looked at my blackberries, and they still look quiet. I’m particularly interested in seeing if my Prime Ark Freedom floricanes can make it thru this. They got bit by a late winter hard freeze last year and I didn’t get any fruit off those canes.

1 Like

Well, we only got to 14 in my part of Kentucky earlier this month…and looks to stay in the 20’s the next 3 nights. On into march, lows look like 30’s and 40’s most of the time. With some chance of a good snow before winter lets go.

I have about 4 or 5 apple trees in containers with leaves near half an inch long, all but one are red-fleshed apples. But others are completely dormant still.
Did my first graft of the season last evening. But, with 3 nights in the 20’s probably not the best idea.

First daffodil in bloom today!
And hellebores (Lenten roses) have been blooming for weeks…….although normally about now they would begin to bloom.

1 Like

I took a closer look at my pluots, one of them have some swollen buds, but most of the tree is quiet.

My six potted apples are still dormant.
Hope they stay that way until I get them in the ground, which is still too wet to do anything with.

1 Like

It’s fun being out there (NCGR).

1 Like

Down to low 20s at night along with significant wind gusts. Doesn’t feel like an early spring in Virginia right now. Perhaps it will slow things down a bit.

4 Likes

Yeah it will be cold tonight and tomorrow (22?), but next week we’ll be near 60 for three days. Plus, more rain forecasted.

No bueno.

2 Likes

Yes, and if the quantity of rain is up to forecast in Lexington KY…well, the Cumberland and Kentucky Rivers aren’t finished taking a few mobile homes and outhouses down the river this spring!

2 Likes

I got flowers on some plums but it’s supposed to get to 28 degrees F a few nights this weekend.

3 Likes

There are plums, Bradford pears, a peach or two,in bloom in Somerset KY today.
Supposed to reach 25 tonight.

3 Likes

My Arctic Jay from a container that I planted last summer has been fully bloomed out for at least a couple of weeks. My Hosui is in full bloom as well. Apples, pears, pluots, and peaches have almost all bloomed. Haven’t seen as much from the apricots. Fortunately we rarely get frosts after February, which this year was zero rain and around 70 most of the time.

11 Likes

Here is to hoping that this is the last frost of the year. My last wave of blooms on my pluot is open right now, as is most of my plum blossoms.

1 Like

Wow. I’ve never seen blooms that large and intense on a fruiting peach or nectarine.

5 Likes

A bit more advanced than I’d prefer. We have a month of potential killing freezes. Right now they could survive even a quick shot in the teens, but the forecast is warm - 61 tomorrow, 72 Monday…

5 Likes