Strawberry variety recommendation?

How was your experience with Gurney’s? They have good sales, but it has been hit or miss for me.

1 Like

@757Will … most of my experience with them was good… buy that was mostly back in the 90s.

Been a while since I used them.

2 Likes

gurneys in my opinion is more hype than results. i dont order anything from them. you want big berries that taste awesome try Archer. i had some 4in.

4 Likes

I’m still trying to locate gaviota strawberries. Following old links I found one nursery in California that sells the berries. I emailed them asking if they would sell plants or plugs and sadly got no response. Anyone here have any luck locating them?

At $13 per plant (!) that purple one can’t be more than a novelty. A whole patch of them will set you back a lot of dough.

2 Likes

I would not buy strawberries from Burpee period. I ordered 50 white pineberry plugs last year for less than they sell one plant

3 Likes

I remember when Honeyoye first came out. My fruits teacher in college said it “tastes like mud”. Big size but no on flavor.

I grew Sparkle years ago. Not a huge fruit but freezes extremely well and great flavor.
I recall in my childhood hearing Fairfax was the king of flavor in strawberries but that old variety seems long gone in availability from any strawberry suppliers I check on.

I can’t seem to grow strawberries as the urban site I have is full of squirrels and rabbits. last time I put out strawberries the rabbits kept the foliage mowed. The squirrels stole almost all the fruits. Tempted to try again with Mara De Bois if my 2 have a heart live traps can keep the critters at bay. Perhaps I could grow them in tubs on my patio. At least that would resolve the rabbit issue.

3 Likes

@Spartan

I raised my Strawberry bed up a few feet that took care of the rabbits. As far as your squirelld go build a wire dome. You can keep it all on the ground and electrify it if you want.

Thanks Clarkinks! Great ideas. My kids are grown up and gone. I have one vegetable bed that will go out of production next year due to the lack of need. Way to much produce from the others for the wife and I to use. I end up sharing a lot anyway with the elderly in my neighborhood as they are unable to garden anymore. That gives me space for a raised bed for strawberries. With a screened dome to keep those tree rats (squirrels) out hopefully I can get a Mara De Bois crop going.

1 Like

I love Mara Des Bois, and have Albion too. Tasty berry, larger and more firm than Mara. I think you may be happy with them.

1 Like