Sugarcanes anyone? Maybe Jujus, Tom, or Mamuang

Tony,

Wish you success. I have bad memory growing sugar cane. The blades (leaves) are sharp and cause itchiness to my skin. I swear off growing it.

I’ve tried to grow one when I was kid but it was a failure and I never tried again.

In the tropic, it is easy. Stick a section that has good buds in the soil and water it. Don’t let it dry out. Grow like weeds :grin:

I tried to grow some store bought sugarcane in container last year but none grew out. It should be lay flat parallel to the surface, shallowly covered as far as I know.

1 Like

I wish they would left the top with some green leaves and that would be the best way to start them. I remembered my Grandma just chopped the top off the fresh cane and buried it in a 15 degree angle with maybe 3 inches deep and they all grew like crazy.

Tony

Very sad indeed. I feel fortunate that there still raising cane in South La! Haha. But yeah it really is a shame as those are the kind of experiences that are what life is all about.

1 Like

i guess that corroborates Popeye’s(chicken fastfood resto) cane sweeeeeet iced tea.

1 Like

After this thread came up I bought two varieties of sugarcane off ebay (Florida Red, and Blue Ribbon) (5 segments of one and 3 of the other) All are growing well, planted in mid May, and the tallest of the Red cane is now over 6 feet tall as of the first week of August. The Blue Ribbon canes are somewhat shorter, most at around 3-4 feet in locations that get full sun. I also planted a couple where there is only direct sunlight for about 4 or 5 hours per day. These are not doing as well and are still only 18-24 inches tall, growing well, just much slower. The red seems to be a sturdier cane, a couple of the Blue Ribbon canes have broken due to wind, animals, etc. I am now thinking of adding in another variety or two.

4 Likes

Hi Isaac. I know it is much later now. Did your sugarcane experiment go well? I planted some Florida red. I was wondering if the other varieties were worth planting.

1 Like