Suggestions, changes, what's working and what isn't so far?

Is there a way to mark posts as “read” until a new response is made?

Mark, for any post you are “tracking” (the blue dot at the bottom, happens automatically for things you read or posted previously), in the list of posts there should be a blue dot with the number of unread replies next to it. Also, then you click on such a post topic it will take you to the first unread reply. Once you read those replies they are marked as read automatically.

Scott

Thanks, Scott.

I’m having such a good time on this forum that I just invited my local California Rare Fruit Growers group (Monterey Bay area) to join us here!

2 Likes

Lizzy, that sounds like a good way to attract interested users, and a good recruitment idea. I’m a “nobody” here. Still, I’m glad you enjoy the forum enough to personally recommend it to your local CRFG,

Thanks, Muddy. But nobody is a “nobody” here! At least, it seems like us inexperienced orchardists can get even our newbie questions answered on this forum :wink:

2 Likes

I just joined, after returning from a month vacation abroad and finding things rather sparse on GW. But I, am having trouble figuring out how to use this forum. Are there some directions I can read? In particular, I can’t determine the dates an item was posted and what zone the writer is in. Thanks much for helping out a rather computer-illiterate old brain. Northwoodswis4

Funny as I was looking at dates yesterday too, and well their are none. Also I can’t see the number of new posts as the colors background blue, number white, my eyes can’t see it well, if at all. It’s too small, I need new glasses.

===

Zone is an issue not solved yet. The time can be determined by holding your cursor over the time in upper right of post.

I just figured out a way to make this a bit better. If you click on someones icon and then click on their icon again in the popup that comes up you will see a full page of info on the person. Their zone will be listed somewhere in the big black box at the top (assuming they entered it when they made their account). @northwoodswis4 , I see you are in 4a there.

I plan on putting this by peoples names like on GW once I find the time to do it.

Scott

How does one make a new post? I really do need some directions how to work this all. Thanks.
Northwoodswis4

in the top right hand corner of the page, directly beneath your user icon, you should see a rectangle that says “+New Topic”. Click on that. It will take you to a dialogue box for entering your new topic. That’s how you start a new thread.

If you only asking how to make a new “post”, well, you already know how. It’s what you did to ask the question. :smile:

Scott, what do I have to do to get the site to award me an Autobiographer badge? As soon as I figured out how to access it, I filled in my Profile with enough information that if anyone knows me personally, they’d know exactly who I am, and probably know which house is mine. If it’s an automatic badge, there must be something that I missed doing.

It looks like you need to make an Avatar for that. If you are avatar-adverse just download your blue M and upload it as your avatar :smile:

That’s a quirk I didn’t expect. I guess I’ll have to wait until I have a offspring available with some free time to explain to me how to do that and then to do it for me. Once upon a time I was very tech proficient. Now I just holler for the young ones.

Ha! Easy Peasy. I did it on my own without signing up for WordPress. Thanks.

Scott,

I’m starting to get video pop up ads. Is anyone else experiencing this?
I’m using Firefox.

Ray

Ray, that means your computer got infected with malware - this site shows no ads itself. Get a good malware removal tool to get rid of it.

Malwarebytes is a pretty good one.I think they still have a free edition.I used it for a while and then bought the full package. Brady

I use Malwarebytes, but am still getting the adds. I’m also having trouble
with the back button not working.