Suggestions on what to plant in part shade next to woods

i prune out any low lying branches and grow cultivars with bigger berries and upright growth habit. why im removing my consorts. berries arent the best and they’re small and a pain to harvest. i harvest my tiben blacks and honeyberries sitting in a plastic lawn chair. they are the perfect height. at least currants grow in clumps and strings. honeyberries are even more of a pain. next year im going to try the kiddie pool and bat method.

Have you seen the diy Sawzall shakers? I think I’m going to try to make one myself. Either the old ryobi or a harbor freight plug in.

1 Like

I saw them for honeyberry, but not for currants. Wonder how they would work?

My Consort are still young, but I noticed that too this past year. I did enjoy Titana and Ben Sarek though.

1 Like

one of Tibens parents is Titania. :wink:

1 Like

id forgot about that. if your successful, could you post a tutorial?

Will do! It’s on the long list haha

1 Like

I found this in some old posts by one of our members @Viktor

2 Likes

yep. thats where i saw it.

2 Likes

Yep that’s totally what I am thinking about making. It was buried in one of the many good honeyberry threads.

Pro moves on all accounts using the “chair pouch” and the leaf blower for cleaning.

2 Likes

Hi Travis,
I did not think your temps would go so low, given that, I agree with Ryan @disc4tw that Feijoa would not be suitable unless you either have a greenhouse for winter, or some temporary way to insulate them by growing in above ground pots that can be dug in or insulated during your coldest months.
Dennis
Kent, wa

1 Like