Summer 2021 - Show Us Your Fruit!

Tomatoes are all cracking a bit from the week+ of heavy rains after our long dry summer, but their bottoms are still mostly pretty, and the flavor and texture doesn’t seem to be impacted much

9 Likes

Shin Li Asian Pears. Still good harvest after the severe cicada attach and cedar rust.

13 Likes

“Kasandra” hybrid persimmon from Cliff England. The fruit is small and is Chinese astringent type. It is even sweeter than the large Chinese astringent persimmon. No seeds. 35 grams.

14 Likes

1st real crop of lingonberries. The few I got last year were great in pancakes. I will probably try doing a very small batch of sauce

11 Likes

Still getting plums! Amazing hang time. I’ve been picking candy heart for a month and a half. Emerald beaut is so crunchy and delicious, top 3 plum for me for sure. Took the photos today.

17 Likes

Impressive! They are insect and wasp magnets here. Not to mention brown rot.

3 Likes

We harvested our butternut squash over the weekend. I typically grow regular Waltham variety as it gives my wife an ample supply for butternut squash soup well into spring. However, this year I tried Rogosa Violina, an Italian variety from Baker Creek seeds. I was skeptical from the reviews but it really does taste a lot better! The fruit is also much bigger but I averaged only about 1 per vine. That could be attributed to plants being stunted in spring from Grazon herbicide contaminated horse manure I got from a neighbor. Also had polination issues and lots of duds. Anyone growing these able to get more fruit per vine?

Here’s a side by side. Waltham is 3lbs Rogosa is 12lbs!

12 Likes

Little girl is sooo cute!

4 Likes

Scott, is S. Tardeva a freestone peach? Also any idea when it ripens compared to any of the more common peaches your grow?

Yes it is freestone. It is between Ernies Choice and Carolina Gold.

1 Like

Congrats, those look high quality.

1 Like

Cripps Pink is starting to drop. They taste excellent. They don’t necessarily look like the cripps I see in the supermarket though. They actually look more like Fuji to me. But they taste like Cripps. They are somewhat small. Maybe I let the tree over crop. The tree has no leaves, just fruit right now. Looks funny.

5 Likes

Belated tasting notes: This was the first year our tree produced any fruit, and there was just one. I have to admit that I was a bit nervous to do a tasting because Scott has termed Fall Pippin a bit boring, and I didn’t find other descriptions of it here for a second opinion. We kept it in the refrigerator for nearly two weeks before cut out a couple slices to taste. Fortunately for us, my wife and I liked what we found. She called it “bright” and then added that it was “citrusy sweet.” She is better at describing tastes than I am, but I liked its complexity. Its acidity is what I noticed first, but there was some nice sweetness to balance it. It didn’t have the crunch that most folks seem to prefer these days, but it was moderately crisp. Maybe because I had low expectations, I took great pleasure in the Fall Pippin and hope we get more than one next year, so we can taste test it in an apple crisp.

It was only one apple to go on, so I won’t make any further or final conclusions.

3 Likes

Oh . . . by now you ‘guys’ are probably sick of seeing my pomegranates! But this was a pretty little one.

17 Likes

Karen, I love to see your beautiful pomegranates. They made me mouth watering and make me wanted to grow pomegranate too

2 Likes

Whats your favorite variety so far?

1 Like

Black Mission Figs, Wickson crabapple, Golden Russet, Fuji, and Shizuka apples

Giant Fuyu persimmons

Fuji apples

Pineapple quince

Lapins and Black Tartarian

Assorted plums and other fruit.

17 Likes

There are a few that (so far) taste somewhat similar - to me. And I like them all.

I don’t detect the ‘delicate descriptions’ yet. I’ve read that some taste like ‘berry’ - some like ‘wine’. Sorry . . . but, they all just taste like pomegranates to me!

My faves so far - Hotuni Zigar. Granada. Afganski. Some ‘individual’ fruit tastes a bit sweeter or is more juicy . . . but these particular varieties are a good combo of tart and sweet. I also like Purple Heart - but it tends to be a little more tart. (More like Wonderful.) Again . . . I pick one and then pick another, from the same tree - and they can vary.
Granada (Grenada) was much sweeter this year than in previous years. I guess there are a lot of different factors that push the fruit one way or the other. Available water. Sun. Nutrients. Etc.

Some have really large ‘arils’. Others are smaller. I think I like the ones that are ‘in between’. - - - I don’t like any of the so-called ‘sweet’ ones. They are very bland. But that may be because of our location . . . ?

I’m learning as I go!

3 Likes

For us too. Plums just ‘don’t like us’. I am considering putting apples or peaches in their spots, instead! They are Japanese Beetle Magnets here. And all kinds of other cankers and rots . . . disappointing.

@danchappell How do you rate that giant fuyu? I have Jiro and Fuyu ect. but the giant looks much bigger than regular persimmon. I am just about to place an order for one, but thought I would get a second opinion.