Sundance Goes To Top of My Apple List

One reason it’s not well known- very few places sell it for some reason. Gurneys, Cummins, not sure who else.

2 Likes

I ordered it from Cummins along with Hudson Golden Gem, CrimsonCrisp, Egremont Russet, and Crimson Topaz. All dwarf trees.

2 Likes

I don’t have Sundance but I have SunCrisp which is very good, too.

Hope those who grow both can chime in @scottfsmith?

2 Likes

You didn’t put it on ‘best tasting apples’ thread.

The best apple I grew this year was Fuji. But Golden Sweet impressed. And Arkansas black has more good sweet/tart combination for fresh eating than in most years.

3 Likes

I’ll find some place to put it on that thread.

1 Like

Mehrabyan has trees, 39th parallel has scions (Co-op 29). Here’s another review, from Bob.

5 Likes

Something to note for those interested in this apple. Sundance is a trademarked name. It was patented under the name co-op 29.

Here is the patent info, it has now expired : USPP13819P2 - Apple tree named ‘Co-op 29’ - Google Patents

Don’t grow it myself but will probably acquire a scion to trial in my location.

@jcguarneri perhaps a candidate for your grafting/giveaway project?

6 Likes

My taste buds are aging but I don’t get any harsh acidity- just a mellow, subtle, complex, pleasant acidity at the end that puts a bow on this apple, right off the tree. Hotter climate here than say New England may improve sugars and hide acidity.

6 Likes

Ah ha!

1 Like

Nice review. I got one from Mehrabyan in 2020, fingers crossed it’ll set some apples next year.

How did it do with codling moth no spray for you?

1 Like

@Iowa I bag my apples so I can’t say about CM.

2 Likes

Is it a spur or tip bearer?

1 Like

Spur bearer.

2 Likes

This explains much. Ive had a tree since 2017. It was my first apple tree ever and I was pruning it incorrectly.
It’s never flowered. Granted I’m in a warm climate, but the tree doesn’t have any spurs either. Just grows vertically.

1 Like

It does not set a lot of spurs, like say a Goldrush. There may be some tip bearing too, I can’t recall. I’d call it a shy bearer and not precocious. That may explain its being seldom planted.

3 Likes

@hambone
What is it grafted on?

1 Like

It’s on my former Enterprise on M-7. Waited forever for Enterprise to fruit then seriously disappointed in taste for several years. No mas.

1 Like

In the context of spurs and productivity, I wonder what Co-op 29 was trialed on.

1 Like

Glad to hear it. I have one but it hasn’t fruited yet, which is a rare exception here. But it is slightly shaded by an oak tree. I need to trim some branches on the oak.

2 Likes

I grafted Sundance onto my goldrush tree. Sundance tried to take over the scaffold to which it was grafted. It took several years to fruit on a heavy fruiting GR tree. It was a strong grower and a bit of a shy bearer for me. Had to cut it off.

3 Likes