T-budding tutorial

Yes there is, this was Strawberry Verte a green fig onto RdB a dark fig. Both great figs. So someone might like to fruit both. If they don’t want SV it could be grown as RdB. Or they could airlayer SV and have an own-rooted plant of both.

Nothing you can do other than to hold off on water and nitrogen. I doubt you are doing either. Pears are hardy. It will adjust and be OK 99% of the yrs.

3 Likes

OK, I see. You want a 2in1 fig. I was wondering if you were initially employing some sort of nurse branch strategy

1 Like

I looked at my summer budding today, saw the parafilm and rubbers were splitting in some cases on the apples - some buds definitely did take

No luck with cots and plums that I can see

Had a deer bed down or some other nonsense on an Italian 258 with a weak structure and ended up budding something like 30 trees from the branches.

These are the t-buds now. I noticed one is wilting slightly so I’m hopeful that is not a sign of incompatibility but only time will tell. It’s rained several inches here which may be a factor.

1 Like

Clark. I got a few scares that looked similar but just turned out to be what looked like a sun/rapid growth condition that went away in a few days. Of course I really don’t know in your case but I hope you escape FB.

2 Likes

Bill you can see I pruned off the junk growth like I do with all my grafts that need it. At times with fire blight that’s all it takes. If you don’t shape them in the beginning they get out of control quick.

1 Like

Bill,
It did perk back up tonight. Rapid growth and sun scald makes sense. The one t-bud caught up and passed up the other and that was the one that was wilting. That type of pear is highly resistant to fireblight for what it’s worth. Those two pear trees I t-budded are the same type of pear.

1 Like

Fruitnut,
I was not planning to post a follow up of these t-buds but I wanted to show you the growth rate! One of the branches wilts sometimes which is no doubt likely to continue for awhile. They are taking off like a rocket!

3 Likes

This is what that t-bud looks like without the sun beating down on it.

1 Like

I already see the form of a tree…!!

2 Likes

So after this thread, I went out and tried tbudding. A few months later, here’s the “best” of what I managed:

ed,

It looks to me like the shield part lived, but the bud part itself died. That green bit is the apparently living budwood.

If I pruned to the end of this cut in the spring, is there any chance that green patch can develop vegetative wood?

It won’t develop a bud. There would need to be a bud left on that green sliver. I can’t tell from that picture if there’s a bud left or not.

I was afraid of that. I’m pretty sure the entirety of the bud dried up and snapped off, but I suppose there could be a cell or two left in there.

1 Like

Fruitnut,
These are the two pear T-buds. Buds are growing away nicely! Needed to spread one of the branches out lateral so that the tree will not just grow tall. In a day or two I will remove the stick and the branch will come up some. This is the first t-bud which is not growing significantly but looks fine.

This is the second t-bud before and after bottom branch was spread out.
Here are a few more pictures of the second t-bud from this morning.

2 Likes

The deer have been terrible this year, so I don’t have many to show. This is one of the very few that the deer didn’t get to. It’s a Pluot I budded to seedling rootstock in June, It has almost 4 1/2 ft of growth.

2 Likes

New t-bud grafts are starting to go to sleep for the winter. Next spring I will give the trees a heavy mulching of cow manure and wood chips. Bet they will reach 8’-12’ by the end of next year!

2 Likes

My t-buds did not have a chance to go completely dormant when the cold caught them. Pears are typically forgiving though in the spring I will let you know how these turn out. This photo is one of them taken just before the snow melted.

1 Like

My t- budded apples did the same, they still had some green in the leaves today.

1 Like