Tags that lasts forever costs almost nothing

I made some of those, years ago.
Deer ate them all, or chewed them to the point that you couldn’t read them
Make two and bury one at the north - or at your choice of cardinal directions - side of the plant for retrieval when the hanging tag is no longer functional

9 Likes

Me like to eat the deer! No deers in our neighborhood. My problem is strong winds. They can blow away the tags even if it’s not anchored.

2 Likes

I had a rasty ole goat chew one pop can tag badly.
Thankfully out in the nursery I have lists of what is planted on each row for reference in case tags get lost.
The heavier aluminum flashing will not be so easily eaten…or rendered unreadable by chewing.

I love the curly q idea @Hillbillyhort.

3 Likes

That seems like a great idea, I was actually just about to start replacing the plastic tags on all of my trees with metal ones but was concerned about wire damage to the trees.

1 Like

I have the same issue with shiny tags

1 Like

I use aluminum tags as well but last year I 3d printed tags for some grafts. They worked phenomenally. The black lettering is plastic so it will never wear off.

40 Likes

Those are nice!

1 Like

Tree tags. I have used these for years; they are easy to use and hold up to the elements. I put basic information about tree: what, variety, source, and date. The original tag(s) I keep in folder. The “pen” is sharp nail taped to a piece of plastic. Ezy-peezy.

8 Likes

Wish I can afford 3D printer!

1 Like

I enjoy impresso tags An untagged pear wound up being Ayers - Been wanting that variety

1 Like

3D printers are relatively affordable nowadays if you don’t mind their smaller print volumes! My local library offers 3D printing services as well- I believe they charge by weight so it should be a pretty economical option as well in case anyone is interested. I would check their prices but it seems like their website is down right now :sweat:

1 Like

Harbor Freight has wire works well.

Stainless Steel Lock Wire, 1.00 lb. Coil

Cut metal of your choice (I don’t like the flimsy cans for this anymore). Poke holes. Stamp variety and date. Take soft aluminum wire and bend a loop in one end. Thread on the tag. Curl a loop in the other end for a nail. Stick a nail in the loop. Drive the the nail into the tree near the graft. I like to imagine that the tags, twisting in the wind and glittering in the sun, might help deter birds.

1 Like

A metal detector will find buried aluminum tags too.

2 Likes

No one has cut on their own fingers vith these cane tags? I think I must smooth edges with sandpapper and this is time-consuming. So I use thin foil from aluminium baking dish. Ii cuts into slices with plain scissors and is more safe and quick.

dish

4 Likes

I like all the tag options mentioned. For myself I like using the thicker aluminum window blinds. One advantage of the thinner metal such as the coke cans is that they can be easily marked with a pen.

5 Likes

As for me, the thickness of the soda can metal is just right for the balance of the ease of cutting with scissors, strength, pliability, and ease of writing info on it using ball point pen. Most of all, it is free and I can get it quickly. The aluminum food tray I also sometimes use, but they crumple easily that I can’t read out the info written on them after some time.

But all of your suggestions are way better than using a permanent marking pen. I still have aluminum tags of more than 20 years hanging on my trees. The very old ones fell off, but I don’t care as by then I would have intimately known the cultivar already. It is the newly introduced ones that need labeling.

3 Likes

I tried that with aluminum baking dishes and pie tins. I punched holes with a paper punch. Within a year they had all ripped off and had blown around the orchard. Now I have finally located some aluminum window blinds, which I labeled with Dymo embossed tape. I hope they hold up longer.

1 Like

I’d noticed this awhile back, so I took the camera over today when I had to spray. These of course are just pop can tags, but having timber and fields next to the trees (with the resident Squirrel population being over-the-top) I’ve known for awhile I was going to have to go a different direction regarding tags…

2 Likes

I’ve had the same thing… Even to the point that I can’t read what it was… My brass tags have never been chewed… I’m thinking of spray painting all to black.

4 Likes