Tangelo - don't think I got what I asked for

We had the same problem last summer with our late or summer citrus - just not enough different in day/night temps, so a lot of my very ripe fruit was partially green. That is actually pretty rare here, but then, we had such a weird spring and summer last year, I’m not overly surprised :slight_smile: But you are correct - we need to know the ripening schedules for each of our cultivars for our general areas, as skin coloration is not always an indicator of citrus ripeness. For us, it just happens to coincide nearly all the time, so some folks have assumed they are the same thing.

A reliable indicator of ripeness is to open and taste one! If not ripe, wait a bit longer. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yup, been sampling one every 2 to 4 days for 3 weeks. A bit of increase in juice and sweetness, but not a lot.

By contrast, I had the first Fairchild on Nov 23 - the day I flew down from Alaska and coincidently my birthday - and it was OK, but really improved over the next 3 weeks. Of the 55 fruits that were on it, only 8 left. :cry:

There is 1 orange on my 1 year old Washingon. I’ll pick it in a week or so.

I have a calender started for when to pick the fruit. That’s the other end of the season from my Alaska calender, which has planting dates for seeds.

Hopefully it continues to increase in sweetness as time goes on Jim. What has your cultivation program been for it?

No love for ‘Kinnow’ mandarin? Anyway, I’m with you on the Kumquat. A beautiful, flowering small street tree that yields $3 a pound fruit. What’s not to like?

I’m thinking FN is right, probably an “Arizona Sweet”. I’ve seen a lot of those at local outlets. Hopefully it will get better next year.

They get fertilized every 4 months with Dutch Master, which is the closest to Folige Pro that I could find locally.

Don’t know Kinnow, I’ll check it out.
Jim

See minute marker 6:00 on this video. Bill Merrill eats some Kinnow citrus and raves about its rich flavor. Wish I could grow citrus, but it was 20 degrees Fahrenheit here today.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mNsRi8F1bHo

You can grow it, Matt. You just have to convince your Sensible Half that you can do with less floor space for about 5 or so months of the year for your area. :grinning:

Muddy,

I live with my wife and son in a teenie tiny circa 1840s townhouse in a city historic district. It looks like the “Betsy Ross House” in Philadelphia. Every inch of the place is multi-purposed. Unfortunately, no room for citrus here.

In the future, I hope to build a sunroom addition… so maybe someday…

Hi Matt
Went to a master gardeners event today at Greenfield Citrus. Quite educational. I’ve bought a couple of trees from them before and they are the best locally available. They grow them in the field and do a ball and burlap. The only problem is that it’s quite a drive as it’s on the far side of the valley for me, so I don’t get there often.

They did not have any of the three I was looking for, but they did have Kinnow. The catch? 5’ tall with 150lb rootball. No way I’m getting that in the car! So I left my number with them. The called me back and said they would dig up a younger one. Only 75 lb rootball. :wink:

So, I’ll pick it up in 10 days or so. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jim,

You’re welcome.

In exchange for my advice-- I expect a peck of Kinnow fruits shipped to my front door next winter. I’ll PM you my address! [ just kidding ].