Teach me about growing blackberries

Triple Crown can easily spread 15 ft.

Thought I would bump up this old thread. speedster1 did you end up growing any blackberries? TC and Chester are very productive for me, This trellis is on its 4th winter and because the production of these 2 varieties I keep adjusting my pruning techniques. I have black plastic under the mulch in the walkway and about 6 inches under the rocks into the dark mulch so that there is only a 1 foot line down the middle for the canes to grow, this keeps them in a straight line and keeps the amount of canes to a minimum.

First pic is the blackberry side. Kiowa, Natchez, Ouachita Triple Crown and Chester.

[/URL]

This is raspberry side of trellis. Anne, Caroline and Prelude.

[/URL]

20 Likes

That is one beautiful row!

1 Like

Yeah thanks PP for the tips about pruning blackberries. My crop was excellent this year after thinning it down. My berries were a little small this year due to lack of water. It was very dry and I was not around to water. That made the berries excellent though. I did have enough for my family and all the birds too. Next year most will be netted, the birds are not going to be happy.

3 Likes

Awesome. I want to do something like this. How do you get in?

At one end the netting is overlapped an clipped, just unclip and enter.

1 Like

Great looking row of berries. The way your growing those is well thought out and very functional.

Thank you, Very heavy bird pressure here so it is a must.

1 Like

I planted Prime Ark blackberry a year ago in a pot. It escaped and tried to take over the tomato patch. If you want a vigorous thornless blackberry Prime Ark is a good one. I don’t even really have to take care of it besides watering every once in a while if the weather gets hot.

2 Likes

Update for this, while looking through my catalogs I cam across some new varieties of black berries being offered. The catalog was from Burpees and the blackberry is apparently named Prime Ark Traveler. Prime Ark is a series of blackberries bred by the University of Arkansas that from the ones I have grown are thornless and primocane bearing which means that you will get fruit from both the new years growth and the previous years growth.

1 Like

Apparently they now offer these blackberries at Starks as well. Prime-ArkÂŽ Traveler Primocane Blackberry Plants - Stark Bro's

Today, I planted some Newberry.

3 Likes

Here are dads wild blackberries, he has three rows but the berries are very small,

7 Likes

I know this is an old thread, but I figured I’d revive it since I’m back to growing blackberries and have a few questions, so here goes…

Back in August I planted a bunch of bushes…sweetie pie was one of the varieties along with a couple of others that I’m not sure of. In any case, they’re doing great…fast forward and I have all kinds of new growth and I’m seeing blossoms and berries forming, which is great…

so my question is this, I thought blackberries grew on second year canes? What I’m seeing is the berries forming on new growth…Do I take that to mean the blackberries grow off the new growth from a 2nd year cane? Also, what about pruning, I’ve read that after they fruit, nothing will grow again on that cane, so do I just cut the canes back that had fruit on them?? Thanks in advance.

Sometimes a blackberry will form a lateral branch very near the ground from the previous year’s cane. Those low laterals will bloom and fruit. Cannot tell from your pictures if this is the case. Trace the blooming branches to the bottom to see if they are branching off last year’s growth or if they are truly coming out of the ground at the perimeter or near the base of the existing canes.

Thanks @LarryGene , these definitely appear to be growing off of last years growth…here you can see the blossom…this is the new growth coming off of what appears to be last years canes…at least from what I can tell those canes were there when I bought the plant…

2 Likes

…in that case your above initial post is correct and the answers are yes.

1 Like

Once the berry is ripe and you get to have the bountiful and luscious blackberries, you’ll realize that thornless blackberries are one of the most easy and productive fruit you can ever grow.

I have found informative blog on growing blackberry here - https://penseberryfarm.com/blogs/news/how-to-grow-thornless-blackberry-plants

1 Like

Also a challenge because every creature on Earth thinks the same thing.

1 Like

After you taste western trailing types it ruins you for the thornless types. Which have yet to be anywhere close in flavor.

3 Likes