Tent caterpillar onslaught - any tips

Already finding egg cases on my trees. This is a peach tree with a mass on every other branch.
IMG_1869

And this is what my UV zapper looks like:
IMG_1870

It looks like next year will have another heavy infestation!

I hope not, I was super diligent in removing the caterpillars quickly from my small fruit trees. I haven’t found too many egg masses on my trees. Sadly it’s my neighbours tall trees that can’t be accessed where the problem originates.

I sure hope this doesn’t repeat again for me next year.

The tent caterpillars don’t bother me too much up here. We get them, but they’re native and I tolerate the few we get. The spongy/gypsy moth caterpillars can all roast in an inferno though. They’re doing a ton of damage on the oaks just south of here.

1 Like

We are in the same boat here. I hate spongies! I went and checked a row of oaks today that I had planted on our back 70 a few years ago. Almost all of them where completely defoliated. I hope they recover. I have been so busy planting and spraying around my house and in the orchard that I hadn’t made time to go over and protect those trees. Dad went hiking over in the Porcupine Mountains today, and he said that most the red oaks over there looked like they had been put through it too.

2 Likes

I had one nest in a walnut tree pretty high up. I was going to burn it. But the wind snapped the branch and it fell to the ground. I picked it up and placed it in the burn barrel that I had already started to burn some cardboard and papers. So I got to burn that tent caterpillar nest after all, it was just easier than I thought it would be.

2 Likes