The 2017 fig season

It looks huge. Nice catch.

Tony

3 Likes

Here is the LW breba with a Desert King breba above. Truthfully, that was my 8 yr old son’s hand in the preceding pic😉.

4 Likes

What is the @Richard method? The tree looks great. How long it takes to grow a tree like that? Is it in ground or in pot? How old is the tree? The trunk looks big.

2 Likes

Wow, is this for real?? It is destined to be shared. A sharing fig. How does it taste?

2 Likes

How does the main crop taste like compare to the breba?

1 Like
2 Likes

In winter every branch is pruned to about 4 inches from trunk. This method is recommended for long growing seasons and you will not get Brebas if I remember right. Because this variety does not produce brebas it’s perfect.This year I will try and root some of my extra cuttings for rootstock. I plan on grafting some really good varieties to the roots, but will have to join a fig forum for those rare varieties. I have been looking at ourfigs, lots of info there and good people. We have the fig wasp here so it just makes sense to start some more figs. So far I have, Paneche, VDB, Condria, and Strawberry verte. I pulled the Condria last year because it was inferior here, the other 3 are actually really good, and will keep forever. That Panache fig tree is 4 years old and planted in the ground. My VDB is 6 years old and my best producer. All my figs are planted in ground.

2 Likes

My VdB is in 2nd year. No fruit except 1 breba. And it is a 5.5’ stick all the way up with no lateral. I think I let it grow too much. How do I put it back in shape this winter?

Cut back to 4" … wow … And it grows all back in 1 season.

1 Like

They look awesome bouncing all back like nothing. I am in SoCal about 15 mins from the beaches. Right now, my figs are in 1st and 2nd years in pots. They mostly grow like a stick straight up. Is it too late in the season to do anything? Should I pluck the apical bud to force laterals?

The VdB is 5.5’ plus a feet for the pot. I didn’t realize how tall it gets till I straighten it out with a taller stake.

1 Like

All pruning of figs in our environment (except some nuisance branch) should occur in January.

1 Like

Wait till the tree is dormant then. Would it make sense to do air layer on the overgrown young VdB? Half of its trunk is not lignified.

1 Like
  1. The lack of lignification is normal for same year growth.

2. In our environment, any air-layering should be started in April-May.

1 Like

Oh, because it is spring, the fast growing period? I really should mark my calendar next year :slight_smile:

I just started an air layer a few days ago on a sucker, thinking the weather is still warm for another month. There may be enough time to get it ready by the end of Oct.

Lol good one. I’ll have my six years old hold fruit for me next time we harvest undersized fruit.:wink:

2 Likes

Where can I find a thumbling to make this fig look ginormous?

Alright, new phone, how do I fix sideways images?

2 Likes

My hand with another LW breba and a Desert King breba… And I have VERY large hands😀

7 Likes

Breakfast today included LaRadek EBT, Briguglio, Aldo’s (Sal Corleone), Black Bethlehem and Steve’s Brown Turkey. LaRadek won the taste test from today’s harvest.

9 Likes

I rip out suckers and root them in pots.

1 Like

Do you use root hormone? Any particular medium for the rooting?
Do you cut them shorter? This sucker is about 3 ft tall.

1 Like

Rip – meaning pull it out by force. If it comes out with roots then pot it up with some reasonable potting mix. In our locale I recommend Kellogg’s Patio Mix. If it doesn’t come out with roots then throw it away. You’ll have more in the future.

2 Likes