The 2017 fig season

All pruning of figs in our environment (except some nuisance branch) should occur in January.

1 Like

Wait till the tree is dormant then. Would it make sense to do air layer on the overgrown young VdB? Half of its trunk is not lignified.

1 Like
  1. The lack of lignification is normal for same year growth.

2. In our environment, any air-layering should be started in April-May.

1 Like

Oh, because it is spring, the fast growing period? I really should mark my calendar next year :slight_smile:

I just started an air layer a few days ago on a sucker, thinking the weather is still warm for another month. There may be enough time to get it ready by the end of Oct.

Lol good one. I’ll have my six years old hold fruit for me next time we harvest undersized fruit.:wink:

2 Likes

Where can I find a thumbling to make this fig look ginormous?

Alright, new phone, how do I fix sideways images?

2 Likes

My hand with another LW breba and a Desert King breba… And I have VERY large hands😀

7 Likes

Breakfast today included LaRadek EBT, Briguglio, Aldo’s (Sal Corleone), Black Bethlehem and Steve’s Brown Turkey. LaRadek won the taste test from today’s harvest.

9 Likes

I rip out suckers and root them in pots.

1 Like

Do you use root hormone? Any particular medium for the rooting?
Do you cut them shorter? This sucker is about 3 ft tall.

1 Like

Rip – meaning pull it out by force. If it comes out with roots then pot it up with some reasonable potting mix. In our locale I recommend Kellogg’s Patio Mix. If it doesn’t come out with roots then throw it away. You’ll have more in the future.

2 Likes

I couldn’t take it.

5 Likes

RIP :sweat_smile:

I use Kellogg Organic Patio Plus, same thing right?

Throw it out :astonished:Tell me next time so I can rush to your dumpster :grin:

After looking at your pics, I am seriously considering to plant some of them in ground.

1 Like

Yes.

Why are they not there already?

1 Like

I heard their roots can be invasive and I would love to move them with me. People said they will do fine in 5-7-10 gal pots.

I am thinking to plant the VdB in ground because it is usually petite (mine gets big fast though) and can live in pots. Or should I pick something else since VdB do well in pots. How do you choose which varietals go to ground and which one in pots?

Space is also an issue. I have space for them at 6’ x 2’, in first/second year. But when they develop their laterals and spread out, they can take up a lot of space. The other difficult decision is fig tree often don’t develop fruits true to their varietal till the 3rd or 4th years.

1 Like

Here is a unpruned 6 year old VDB in ground. They don’t get huge like some other varieties, making them good for small areas you want to throw in a fig tree. Also the production is impressive, the figs even more!

10 Likes

That is false for plants purchased retail because they are propagated by cutting.

I think grasshopper is referring to the quality of the fruit which often is better on older less vigorous plants than on newly rooted plants.

5 Likes

Had a Sao Miguel Roxo that was excellent. It made me understand what people talk about when they describe a fig as rich. Boy oh boy!

7 Likes

Nice figs

2 Likes