The amazing Duke Avocado

I can send scionwood too. Now is the perfect time for me to collect just before they break dormancy in the next few weeks!

1 Like

WOW! Really? You are very kind!!! How can i PM you? :grin:

Joe, I would also like to try some of your Duke seeds. I had some a few years ago and sprouted them inside on a heat mat…then managed to kill them after I put them outdoors in larger containers. I’m not sure if I watered them too much, or if there was some other factor. But your idea of sprouting them outdoors in cold weather makes sense. Can I PM you also?

John

I’m very interested in a seed as well. May I bother you as well?

1 Like

And we have liftoff!

13 Likes

Very attractive and nice photo…!!

Hi @JoeReal ,

Newbie here! I have just stumbled across your post, I am looking for Duke Avocado seeds. Do you happen to have any available at the moment or know anyone that might?

I am looking for the most cold tolerant varieties of Avocado there are. If you have any other suggestions that would be great. Which are the most hardy Avocado’s you’re aware of?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

I’ve never grown avocado from seeds before, not even as a child (germinating with toothpicks and water seems to be be common for kids to experiment with) and wonder if the purple/pink color of the emerging plant is standard for avocado or if it’s typical for Duke.

1 Like

I believe what most of you want is cuttings and not seed. As most seeds are not clones of the parent tree. I believe Joe was waiting for the weather to dry out and warm up a bit before shipping cuttings.

1 Like

@Calron Cuttings would be good and I understand that the seeds won’t be a clone of the parent tree, but for me I think I’d still prefer the seeds. I like the challenge of it and to try and see if I can grow it is part of it. I also don’t really know that much about grafting and don’t have any rootstock here that I can actually graft it to, so the cuttings wouldn’t be of any use to me.

1 Like

You can also root cuttings without root stock.

@Calron Oh you can? Even that of the Duke Avocado? How does it work or do you have any links where I can find out more about this? Thanks

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/avocado/avocado-tree-cuttings.htm

3 Likes

Has anyone bought scionwood from Fruitwood Nursery? They have the Duke 7, which I assume is the same as the Duke.

1 Like

@Calron Ahh ok thanks so much for this! I didn’t know that. I thought you had to have a rootstock. Do you know if you get much success rooting cuttings? In this case I am not just look for seed but for cuttings as well. Hopefully @JoeReal has some or someone has some still available. I guess it depends on the time of year. Thanks for your help anyway :slight_smile:

https://growingfruit.org/t/duke-avocado-seeds/24400

Good morning @JoeReal. I just ran across this thread. And felt I needed to join immediately. I live on the coast, just south of shelter cove California, zone 9b. And the Duke and Sacramento Hass sound perfect for where I live. I’m sure you’ve been asked this a million times, But how can I acquire one of these trees? Scions, seeds? Any suggestions much appreciated.
Thanks!

1 Like

I guess an update is due…this is how they live now. 5 gallon pots. I did not prune them but I did remove lots of foliage that got sunburnt when I hardened them off a bit too quick. Some damage can still be seen. New growth is great looking though.

6 Likes

Soo lucky you are!!! Congratulations! :smiley:

1 Like

Are these Duke seedlings? Where might one find them, if they’re since @JoeReal has been eaten by a Tiger.

1 Like