The best Asian Pears

What are the flavor profiles per varieties? Any odd flavors out there? I thought I read once there was a variety with notes of vanilla and tobacco. I’ve only eaten a few in my life and the ones I bought from ethnic markets blew the grocery store bought ones out of the water in every which way possible.

2 Likes

Oriental Fruit Moth seems you might have to be more regular with treating the Oriental Fruit Moth. They can breed 3-5 times in a season depending on the length of your season.

1 Like

Thanks. I buy them there too - in Niles. They’ve been expensive, but they are so big, I can actually share it with my partner, or I can eat half and the put the other half in the refrigerator.

2 Likes

Jason, I have been in the one in Niles. It is a bigger store than the one closer to me in Schaumburg. Yes, the Shinko in Hmart definitely can be shared by two people. It is so large and the quality is worthy the money. My Shingo has flower buds this year (thanks to @californicus for sharing the scion) . Will post the picture of the fruit in the fall

2 Likes

Shingo means Korean Asian pear, and Shinko is a Japenese asian pear, so I highly doubt that they are the same. http://fruitmaven.com/2009/12/shingo-korean-pear/

2 Likes

Here was more discussion about the two pears, Shinko and Shingo

2 Likes

I am more confused

2 Likes

I think @PharmerDrewee probably can explain.

2 Likes

No worries. I sent Annie a long and convoluted explanation!

4 Likes

Yes, Andrew can explain clear enough. Thank Andrew, appreciate it. So the pear that Hmart sales should be the Korea pear, not Japanese pear

3 Likes

Some asian pears have a heavy crop set this year. Drippin Honey fruited very heavy last year so because I didn’t thin them 2 of my 3 trees took this year off with very few flowers. My yali trees are bigger with heavy fruit set, kosui grew a huge amount this spring, Korean giants set a heavy crop again, pai li set very heavy, Charles Harris set a good amount of fruit, hosui I’m not sure of it may be one of the damaged trees on the outskirts of the orchard but I saw several Flowering.

Does brown skin pears always start green then at some point they turn brown? Im trying to figure at what point i might have a wrong variety green/yellow skin asian pear?

also does anyone know, what are these blemishes on my pear? this is a new variety im testing my other pears dont seem to get this skin they are usually smooth and nice in comparison.

2 Likes

@Seattlefigs

Yes brown skin pears start out green and as they get near to ripening the skin changes color. Kosui, korean giant and many others start green then turn tan. Its likely to early for me to answer the second half of your question as the fruitlets are very young. My belief is that the fruit will be heavily russetted in the same way pumpkins have scarring if scratched when young. When cantaloupe start out they are mostly smooth and green and get rough skinned later. That will be rough texture that will increase. What I don’t know is if it’s natural for the fruit or a disease or damage from an insect . Insects like pc cause a half moon :crescent_moon: shaped cut on small pears but pears being what they are grow rapidly crushing the baby pc in most cases which scars the fruit. Thats not your fruits scarring. There are insects that leave a single hole. Quince Rust can also damage fruit which appears slightly rough and discolored at first. There are so many things that can happen to little fruitlets but soon you will know what it is. It reminds me of a heavily russetted fruit like Egremont Russet apple

There are many such russet apples the most widely known is Roxbury russet

2 Likes

thank you so much for your reply. im just wondering if that particular variety of asian pear is more prone to certain disease that caused the blemish on the small fruit. ill probably see it better once it ripens in September. i dont spray anything since i have young kids who just picks fruits. so im looking for more disease resistence pears to grow.

1 Like

@Seattlefigs

What type of Asian pear is it?

Raja asian pear i havent heard too much about it.

1 Like

@Seattlefigs

This post has a photo of the color later Anyone grown, or tasted, Raja Asian pear?

1 Like

Vanilla & tobacco… I think that’s ‘Sweet Sixteen’ apple?

1 Like

I had Hosui on my “to buy” list, but after reading a lot of your comments, Drippin Honey appears to be a top contender for my mini-orchard project. Decisions, decisions…

2 Likes

Get Kosui instead and DH

1 Like