The best Asian Pears

Yes, I got a December order a year ago from them…good trees…price high I thought.
(But I had an impatient customer.)

1 Like

If you are in the Sacramento area then I would highly recommend Fowler Nurseries in Newcastle (near Lincoln/Roseville). https://www.fowlertrees.com/catalog
They’re late posting their 2024 bareroot offerings, but usually start their bareroot sale in February. They offer potted trees year round.
If you are looking for rootstock there are plenty of online sources, but Sierra Gold Nurseries in Yuba City are great for wholesale rootstock as well as trees. They know what rootstocks work well in our area. https://www.sierragoldtrees.com/
For scions I would recommend that you join the California Rare Fruit Growers and come to the Sacramento scion exchange on February 4th. The scion exchanges are amazing and the price is minimal (membership fee plus $5).
The Sacramento Chapter of the California Rare Fruit Growers

4 Likes

Great stuff! I really appreciate.

1 Like

You’re welcome!

Looks like Harmony Farm and Supply in Petaluma has an excellent bareroot/potted selection this year. Literally almost everything: https://harmonyfarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/2-BR-2023-2024.pdf
Bald Mountain Nursery over in Browns Valley has the best prices around for bareroot Dave Wilson Nursery trees. https://baldmountainnursery.com/
Morris Nursery in Riverbank has a good selection of mostly DWN trees etc if you are farther south. They insist on pruning your trees for you :sweat_smile:, though they bag them up nice and fancy with paper and twine. And the pruning job is actually decent - they don’t want folks planting without pruning at all.
https://www.morrisnursery.com/

4 Likes

Fowler is excellent too. Check out
39th parallel, they also may have stock but if it sells quickly, I put my order in for next fall.

1 Like

Thanks Clark, So I found some trees semi local and they have the Hosui on betulaefolia rootstock. They don’t have any Ohxf97. I really would like a tree around 18’ tall max. Also, My planting area is by a sidewalk (5-6’ away), road (5’ away) and driveway(6’away) and from the house about (8’-9’ away). Will this growing area suffice this close to the house and pavement? Are the betulaefolia roots evasive?

1 Like

@Plants

BET rootstocks can be kept at that height but you will have to fight it to keep it that small. Every winter you will want to cut the top out and bend branches to force it to slow down growing straight up. An asian pear runts most trees but not BET it can grow several feet a year (sometimes 8 - 10 feet per year). They are susceptible to fireblight. All that bad i said about them sounds like someone who doesn’t have hundreds of them growing like i do. They are very strong rootstocks. Here is what you are getting into.

2 Likes

Thanks Clark. Down another rabbit hole. Good stuff!

2 Likes

About to grab a tree. And I can grab some scions of different varieties to graft on. I’m thinking about a Hosui tree since I’ve read they spread out and graft on Shinsheiki, Korean Giant, Chojuro, 20th Century.
Any thoughts on this? Is Hosui a good tree to graft on or would KG be better?

My other half doesn’t like gritty pears and was wondering if there are any without that texture so I can graft one on for her too?

Also has anyone grown Ishiiwase? Is it just inferior or similar to one above?

1 Like

@Plants

If uou like the firm crunchy non gritty texture hosui is a good choice. It is a good idea to let it grow a year or two before grafting other pears to it.

1 Like

Excellent thanks Clark. Hosui it is. And these trees I’m looking at are 2-3 years old so perfect.

1 Like

Has anyone ever heard of an Asian Pear named “Tropical”?

Found these at our local farmers market and searched around for the variety and couldn’t find anything online. It was very tasty and actually had tropical flavors with pineapple.

So went back today and was surprised to still see some AP. They only had these left out of several varieties. Surprisingly because the skin doesn’t seem that thick like some other late varieties. I asked the guy about the name and why they called it that he said his Father in law bought the variety from he thinks UC Davis around 30 years ago. It seems a few different cultivars go by more than one name. Is this also

for those curious this bag cost $12

2 Likes

Adding Drippin Honey, Korean Giant, Hosui, Shinko and Chojuro this spring.

I feel as if this is a pretty solid list and more than i can handle honestly. I saw the thread on dehydrating as a storage option… do these can as well as Euro pears?

I met a guy last week that had two 6 foot trees in his very poor soil yard that the trees get dappled sun. He said that last year both produced about 20 sum pears and they were the best that he had ever had… which i know is subjective. but interesting to see the very poor growing conditions that yielded him a very happy story and he is proud of them. No clue on the varieties but he told me where he got them and i visited that nursery… so likely 20th century and one that i listed as they had them all for about $70/tree.

I got most of mine from isons with a 15 percent coupon. SECRET15 and they were already fairly priced i think.

I think i will put mine in a very sunny spot that has pretty poor rocky soil… they should do fine i think.

Ive fruited all the ones on your list except Hosui for a a few years and I wouldn’t plant Chojuro and Shinko again because of a slightly bitter skin. and mediocre flavour.
Nijjaseiki is good but has too be thinned like crazy and is very similar to Drippin Honey .
The ones I like are Shinsui, Shinseiki, Kosui,Yoinashi and Olympic.

3 Likes

I’ve had bitter skin Shinko, but never Chojuro. That said, Chojuro is not a top asian pear. They are lacking in flavor in earlier pickings, then they are reasonably good for a couple days, then they are mealy. I threw a bunch out this year because I couldn’t think of anything else to cook with them.

For me my favorites are Kosui, Korean Giant aka Olympic, Drippin’ Honey, and Hosui. Yoinashi was relatively more bland and Shinsui while excellent ripens too early for my climate, it’s too hot and it gets all sorts of damage.

6 Likes

is drippin honey similar to any other green or yellow skin pear? like example Shinseiki? im trying trying to buy a healthy tree that is not from gurney nursery. i bought from them before and the roots just arent healthy.

It’s different, the flavor is something unique. I should finally start getting more of them as it was crowded out by Shinsui for many years but now has room to grow.

1 Like

You know I only have one relatively small shinseiki and a very small 3-on-1 shinseiki, 20th century, Hosui.

My larger tree I added KG, Yakumo, Raja last year.

In the fridge I have Shinko, Chojuro, Pai Li, Ya Li, and Atago.

So I really am stretching it to add those 5 more varieties to those two trees. I’m being greedy, not knowing what will do well and taste good for me in my location.

From reading here and elsewhere I think if I have to drop off a few with my grafts this spring, I think I’ll drop the Chojuro and Shinko.

I’ll be happy with whatever I can grow.

I should get a few Shinseiki, 20th Century, and Hosui to eat this year.

Tony said that Chojuro was " top among the best"

Scott said ‘Chojuro is one of my favorites’

Chojuro Asian Pear Northern VA 5 years in the ground

Barkslip said that Shinko was ‘fantastic’
Jesse said that Shinko was ‘top notch’
Lucky said ‘tops for flavor’
Marten said ‘delicious’

I wake the thread back up and now they are no good… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

That’s what I get for picking a few responses to make decisions on!
. :joy:

Since I don’t have anyone close to me growing, well, anything other than maybe satsuma, the only real way to it is through it…as they say.

Time will tell. Even if my few fruit trees old enough to fruit don’t do well this summer, there are always the summer veggies and melons to make me content.

Then there are the grapes and kiwi I’ll be planting soon.

As far as trying out many varieties through grafting, we’ll, I’ve only just begun.

I know it will talked several years to even be able to try any of them…then several more years to convert some trees to what I can grow and what I like.