The best Asian Pears

I need to start growing what you are growing…:smile:

1 Like

You might try buying a ‘Hav a Heart’ trap.
I think he heard the UPS guy dropping it off . . . and left!

1 Like

I caught two last year with mine. This year so far all I have caught is one squirrel and two foxes. Still trying, I moved it to a new spot earlier today.

1 Like

I’ve caught 6 groundhogs this year using apple cores as bait. Also 5 raccoons.

4 Likes

Just curious if anyone has any information on Guam Chum Korean pear. I just noticed that Edible Landscaping is selling it - Edible Landscaping Plant Sale: Buy plants online from our garden center and plant nursery and was curious if others are familiar with this cultivar.

2 Likes

Here is EL’s description: This new Asian pear from Korea surprised us with its large, flavorful fruit. Steve Yoon from Atlanta GA sent scionwood to us and it seems we secured the plant for propagation but no one else did. The fruits are large and colorful, reminiscent of a russet apple with a red blush. Our tree came into bearing early. Seems very fire blight resistant and a taste treat.

4 Likes

Anne,
Thank you for the great tip. I went out and bought apples just for this purpose. Put the core out today. 3 hours later, it walked right in. Thank you again.

I hope I do not have 6 groundhogs but who knows?

1 Like

He shows the Guam Chum at the beginning of this video. No mention of it elsewhere on the net, so I’m guessing it’s more typically called something else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5FxXQOtw34

4 Likes

I’m glad it worked for you. I was also trying to use a bait that wouldn’t attract skunks.:scream:

I remind myself to close a trap before dusk. One year, I forgot to do that, got a skunk every time.

Got one yesterday in a small squirrel trap that had sunflower seeds in it. And I left it open thinking it was not fruit. It should be safe from skunks.

2 Likes

Put an electric fence around your tree
They have solar powered kits. Believe me they really work.

2 Likes

Believe me, too, that I would be a likely victim of my own electric fence,:tired_face: judging from my clumsiness.

5 Likes

I’ve been electrifying my life for years. Most of my experience comes from fencing cattle in. Cattle are more sensitive to electricity than we are. I don’t know how susceptible your varmints are. You never enjoy the jolt, but you soon become used to it. Both solar powered and battery powered fencers are fairly low in output. Some of the plug in energizers can be down right nasty, so only use a smaller, cheaper one. Never energize barbed wire or anything you or a pet could get trapped in and receive multiple jolts. As a tip for setup you can never have too much ground rod.

4 Likes

I had two Yongis drop today. They didn’t seem to have any bug damage and were excellent at 16 and 17 brix. Seems early, but hopefully they keep coming.

1 Like

I worry about being a victim of my electric fence also but as of now it has been very effective. Normally I would have been raided several times during the night. This year even the drops are still untouched the following morning, My charger is set up with a timer and only runs at night. I think the squirrels have moved on to the hickory nut trees.

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

thanks for discussing asian pears. I was wondering why a topic about asian pears morphed into a discussion of electric fences.

1 Like

I was sorry. Asian pears have been a bust for me. Yet I still am tempted to keep following this thread. Electric fence grows well in zone 4.:smiley:

9 Likes

I planted a 20th Century and Chijuro this spring and they are still small but I did get a graft onto the Chijuro. They are 20 feet apart and I have 2 hives of bees so pollenation shouldn’t be a problem.

Pears cross pollinate easily. Asian pears can cross pollinate with Euro and vise versa. Both also cross pollinate with other pears like Bradford ornamental pears. I won’t be worried about cross pollnation.

Where are you in zone 5? 20th Century ripens early. My Chojuro has not fruited. Those probably ripen for you in time.

My 20th Century oversets every year. After serious thinning, they are still quite small. Its fruit buds are not as cold hardy as Korean Giant. KG is a late pear. It ripens from mid Oct on. I continue to pick them into mid Nov or when temp is about 25 or lower.

2 Likes