The best Asian Pears

I have a good harvest of Korean Giant this year. I didn’t thin them, so they are not very big. But they taste good: sweet and crunchy, I like them a lot. And, their skin is so tough that although I saw some superficial scars, but no real animal damage

However, I found this year’s Korean giant are drier than last year’s. I remember it was juicier last year. Is it possible the juiciness varies from year to year? What cause it? I don’t think it’s because of weather because we had plenty of rain this fall. Or it’s just my imagination.

I also had 5 Asian pears from a graft, the tag is lost. So they can be either yonashi or 20th century because these are the only two other Asian pears scion wood I received. They are very sweet and very juicy, ready in mid September for my zone 6. Can anyone tell what they are?

4 Likes

Hosui sets really sparse for me. Chojuro and Korean Giant on the same tree set much more.

I should have said “many” instead of “all”. I have Hosui that does not set a lot but it is a shade area so I thought it could be why. Thanks for correction

When I had Shinseiki, it set plenty. So do 20th Century and KG.

I said no to 20th Century. My 20th C is pake yellow, thinned skin pear. I have the tree for over 10 years, it has never russeted like that.

If you are referring to the lower pictures, they do not look like Yoinashi to me. The skin looks splotchy in that picture and the skin of my Yoinashi looks like one texture- more like Korean Giant

Those blotchy ones look like my Drippin Honey. It’s a very variable pear for me. Did it have a good acid/sugar balance?

3 Likes

My 20th Century died before it ever fruited. Are they worth getting another one? Heard the fruit has a bit of tart off taste.

@mamuang @ZombieFruit
Now I am really stumped :thinking: I thought these are the only two possibilities !
@PharmerDrewee mine looks more like your last picture. Skin is much thinner than Korean giant. It’s very sweet and very juicy, no it doesn’t have sugar/acidity balance, I would have preferred the balance taste. But this is the first year the graft bear fruit, maybe the taste can change?

They have more acidity when they are just starting to ripen. Acidity drops off when they really ripen and start to somewhat soften in texture.

I did pick them pretty late, they are not soft yet, but it’s late. Maybe next year I will pick them a little sooner.

But, if it is dripping honey, where did it come from? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Not worth growing in my yard. Smallish, mildly sweet. There are other better ones, KG, Kosui, Hosui, etc.

I’ve got several KG’s and a number of other varieties. Kosui is next on the need to get list. Everyone seems to like it. Thanks for the 20th Century review. Glad it’s gone now.

2 Likes

Is Ya Kuang Li the same as the Ya Li sold by Cricket Hill?

1 Like

By appearance only,they look different and of course the spelling.

A picture of Ya Li,most likely from Cricket Hill
This photo of YaGuang Li from tonyOmahaz5 on this forum or is the name Ya Kuang Li We need to find out if Ya Kuang Li is YaGuang Li.
Someone please call the Fruit Detective!

2 Likes

Yes, please explain and also where to get Ya Kuang Li! Thank you, anyone who can help to clarify!

2 Likes

Ya Kuang Li is Ya Guang Li (鸭儿广梨 in Chinese). It’s a regional pear from the same area as the more well known pears such as Ya Li and Pai Li are from. But be aware that Corvallis messes up its scion wood labels sometimes. The Pai Li scions I got from Corvallis are definitely not Pai Li, and I am pretty sure Tony’s Ya Guang Li from Corvallis is not true either.

4 Likes

BTW, Tony’s Ya Guang Li looks (tastes) the same as my Pai Li, both are likely not true. Lantai Juju Li from the depository is also not the famous fragrant Asian pear, but an unknown local pear from XinJiang.

1 Like

@Bradybb

This is my experience with ya li at my location Ya Li aka yali pear

Kosui should be added to this list.

2 Likes

Not only is Kosui disease resistant, its also a curators choice in Corvallis

2 Likes