The best Asian Pears

Yep. I got some little rootstocks too. (But, since scions are often not the ‘pencil’ size everyone seems to seek, both thin roots and thicker roots come in handy if you’re grafting uncommon scions from various sources). I haven’t exactly gotten ‘burned’ 'cause I realized thin at the time I ordered for roughly $1 per rootstock. More than once.
Last year I got some ‘oversized’ apple rootstocks discounted in April 'cause they hadn’t sold them. So…I like a mix of sizes, so I can match scion to root better.

The other option for me is to make cleft grafts and one side connects up.

2 Likes

I was looking there because they had a big sale on some other trees. None on their Asian pears
Right now.

I definitely like to support small nurseries too — going to get some pawpaws from @Buzzferver in the spring!

2 Likes

I really like my Mishirasu pear, very old tree now(2006) no tags left. I rate it just as good as others.
I think Tony had one growing.
Btw, it’s almost citrus picking time, I am eyeballing a big fat Jo Real Thong Dee pomelo, and others. Got to wait a few more weeks.

5 Likes

Do we think the Stark “Hardy Giant” is a kind of korean giant / olympic? Starking® Hardy Giant™ Asian Pear Tree - Stark Bro’s

1 Like

So Dashi Li is a good one to grow in California? I’m looking for one to grow in 9b Sacramento region it’s hot and dry typically in the summers.

A friend has a huge KG tree and said I can take some cutting or better yet an air layer?
I don’t see a lot of talk about that so I’m wondering if Asian Pears are tough to root?
I’d like to get one for the front yard to block the house from the Summer heat here.
Thanks

I don’t know about how well Dasui Li will do in CA so I cannot comment. I know Korean Giant and have had the tree for 15 years.

I can’t recall any member here air layer KG. People just graft it.

1 Like

Thank you. If you were to grab a small tree to possibly graft onto down the road what would rootstock would you recommend? I was looking at TYTY nursery and they have Hosui, KG, Sand Pear and Shinko.

Avoid tyty. Problem after problem with anything they sell.

3 Likes

Avoid TyTy nursery. It is one of, if not the worst, nursery selling fruit trees.

Look at this reference on nurseries and order from one of these places.

If you don’t want very large tree, OHxF 87 would do. But you are in CA, I don’t know which rootstocks do well in your soil. Maybe, @clarkinks does.

3 Likes

Thank you! @Fusion_power @mamuang I will take your advice on TYTY.

I’d like to get the tree for consumption and shade for my southeastern part of the house. I do have hard heavy clay on top of river rock everywhere. I’ll check out the OHxF 87.

2 Likes

Check out Mehrabyan Nursery. They have Olympic (KG), Kosui, 20th Century, Yoinashi, Shinsui, and Atago on Betulaefolia rootstock which is (generally) recommended by Clark for Asian pears.

2 Likes

Your biggest issue is finding a nursery outside CA that will ship to CA. Most don’t.

You may want to see if there is any retailer near you that carries Dave Wilson Nursery trees.

1 Like

@mamuang

Ohxf87 will do pretty well there. Ohxf97 will do fine as well but it gets a little larger.

2 Likes

Thanks, They look great but unfortunately don’t ship to Ca.

1 Like

Appreciate @mamuang @clarkinks Now I know and the Ohxf97 looks good.

1 Like

States who have commercial crops of certain fruits generally don’t allow out of state shipping into the state to protect the commercial crops from pests and diseases.

In Louisiana I can’t buy any citrus from out of state because we still have commercial satsuma farms south of New Orleans along the Mississippi River.

Yes, I got a December order a year ago from them…good trees…price high I thought.
(But I had an impatient customer.)

1 Like

If you are in the Sacramento area then I would highly recommend Fowler Nurseries in Newcastle (near Lincoln/Roseville). https://www.fowlertrees.com/catalog
They’re late posting their 2024 bareroot offerings, but usually start their bareroot sale in February. They offer potted trees year round.
If you are looking for rootstock there are plenty of online sources, but Sierra Gold Nurseries in Yuba City are great for wholesale rootstock as well as trees. They know what rootstocks work well in our area. https://www.sierragoldtrees.com/
For scions I would recommend that you join the California Rare Fruit Growers and come to the Sacramento scion exchange on February 4th. The scion exchanges are amazing and the price is minimal (membership fee plus $5).
The Sacramento Chapter of the California Rare Fruit Growers

4 Likes

Great stuff! I really appreciate.

1 Like